Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch cable\'s

how many have you went through. mine seems to be eating them. 2 in the past year. maybe the bike has rats....
Wait till I get my hands on thoose dirty rats..

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Clutch cable\'s

about 10k the original one was rusted, and at the time it broke someone gave me a used one so I took it and it lasted me another year. Now noone in town has one for my bike. I've got one on order from the bike shop and it was supposed to be in today but it never showed so it won't be in until monday.

Jeff do you think an 88-89 750 cable would work? cause I have one of those availible. It doesn't look very much different. It looks to me like there is a 30 degree bend on the case side of the cable that the 91-92 doesn't have.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

88-89 cable worked like a champ
It's time to go riding.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Motion-Pro has clutch cables and they're like $9 or something so I'm not sure how much trouble it's worth repairing the original. I think a big problem with GSXR cables (maybe all bikes) is that any liquid that gets in them starts to rust and tear it all up, both my clutch and my speedo cable died of rust (luckily I caught the clutch before it went out but my speedo just stopped working one night).

I think the key to making them last is making sure they're routed properly so they aren't bent really tight and also lubing them. I've got one of those clamp-on cable lubers and a can of cable lube I inherited from the original owner and I do that whenever I change my oil (every 2k miles). Definitely makes the clutch action a little smotther and should help keep the water out.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts