Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you guys drilled the three holes in your clutch basket to improve the performance? If so how much time did it take just to get the clutch basket out? And did it work any better after the holes? And last , do I need any special tools to get iit out?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Yes it improved the performance of the clutch.

It took about 2 hrs start to finish

Yes you need a clutch basket holding tool or a rattle gun

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone done it with there k5?

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Where did you drill the holes?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i had mine done and it does work better and clutches seem to be lasting longer so far

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Given the look of the clutch basket (the fact that it even looks like spots were marked for it to be drilled in 6 places not three) it begs the questions, did Suzuki purposely leave it like that to sell more clutches????

hmmmm

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SPL170db said:
Given the look of the clutch basket (the fact that it even looks like spots were marked for it to be drilled in 6 places not three) it begs the questions, did Suzuki purposely leave it like that to sell more clutches????

hmmmm
right? so I take it you have drilled these holes? what size hole?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Perry. You still have the 05 clutch basket in yours? What have you done to it and how is it holding up?

My 06 took out the clutch with only 2 trips to the drag strip. Put a new one in and it went out in one night of street racing. :hammer
My buddy was giving me shit on his 06 that he hadn't even adjusted it yet. half hour later he went to do some roll ons and his clutch went out.
We have a buddy though with a 05 and he drag races the hell out of his. High 1.6 sixtys on stock bike regeard and strap on the front. He raced it all last year and this year with no problems. :wtf

I am about to put a 01-04 clutch basket in it. I think I will give this a try (I forgot about it) before I put a 01-04 basket in it.

perry said:
i had mine done and it does work better and clutches seem to be lasting longer so far

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have never done anything to mine nor has a friend of mine and both seem to be doing fine. Both he and I have raced at the track and he stunts everytime he gets on the bike.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The inner hub only has 3 holes in it? I just looked at a 01-04 inner hub and it has 6 holes in it.

What about drilling out the extra 3 holes in the basket and drilling 3 more holes in the inner basket also?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have done it to a K1, K2 and a K5 and all were improved.

Swapping a K5/6 basket for a K4 one will not do anything, they are the same.

As badas1000 suggests the inner hub is where the K5 is different.

oh, and the other 3 holes you drill are just the same size as the stock ones

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm confused, is there an inner and out basket on theses bikes???
Or just one basket that needs three extra holes drilled???

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Their is a clutch basket that every one is talking about only having 3 holes and casting markes for the other 3 holes that are not drilled out. i am definatly going to drill those 3 out.
Their is also a clutch hub. The clutch hub has 3 holes in it on the 05-06 and the 01-04 has 6 holes in it. I am thinking of drilling 3 more holes in the clutch hub also.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I didn't take any notice of the drill bit size sorry.

I just kept pulling them out of the set until one fit neat in the stock hole and used it

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
badass1000 said:
Perry. You still have the 05 clutch basket in yours? What have you done to it and how is it holding up?

My 06 took out the clutch with only 2 trips to the drag strip. Put a new one in and it went out in one night of street racing. :hammer
My buddy was giving me shit on his 06 that he hadn't even adjusted it yet. half hour later he went to do some roll ons and his clutch went out.
We have a buddy though with a 05 and he drag races the hell out of his. High 1.6 sixtys on stock bike regeard and strap on the front. He raced it all last year and this year with no problems. :wtf

I am about to put a 01-04 clutch basket in it. I think I will give this a try (I forgot about it) before I put a 01-04 basket in it.
i had the other three holes drilled in and the slipper cogs were welded together and we used lees performance springs. the cluth is so much better now. i burned up the stock clutch also after 2 trips to the dragstrip. i went with new oem fibers and metals. the old fibers were fine but the metals were blued and warped. the guy that did my mods said the 05 clutches are starving for oil and then they get to hot and warp the metals then when we pulled mine apart it was just like he said, fibers had about half life left and the metals were toast. now its been 3000 miles no more clutch problems. thanks to cooper performance

·
Registered
474 Posts
Badass1000 - Last year on my K5, my clutch lasted 5 full races before going south and that was only after I had to hot lap it. Just like Perry said, fibers were OK but warped the steels. I put a complete new clutch in and it only lasted 2 races. Then I drilled the 3 clutch basket holes. Nothing else. BTW I believe I used a 1/8" drill bit. I thne installed a new clutch again, and have had ZERO clutch trouble. I wouldn't worry about the inner hub. I will probably weld my cogs this winter like what Perry did.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Its a marketing ploy to sell more clutches. Everyone in the industry knows that the real money to be made is in selling parts.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
thank you rocking c. I will probably just drill the 3 out in the hub then. Great meeting you a couple weeks ago. Hope you got your bike figured out.
I might check with rob and go to the bremerton race. Hopefully have some things changed on the turbo bike by then.

perry.
you just drilled out the other 3 holes in the basket? What about the hub? Did you drill any more or just leave the 3 in the hub?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts