Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adjusted my clutch yesterday. My handle bar adjustment was almost all the way out and the case adjustment (major) was about 6 threads out. I turned the handle bar adjuster all the way in and tried to take up most of the slack at the case. I also adjusted the set screw that contacts the pin. I noticed that when I started the bike up on the stand the rear tire was turning. The trans was in first but the clutch was in. Also How tight should the pin adjustment be. It seems if you do it like the book says the pin sort of wobbles around a little. My big concern is that the clutch doesn't seem to let go all the way. I checked the faq and some people started to ask/answer this question but I didn't see any sort of a complete or definitive answer. As a note I have 24,000 mile son the bike and this is the original clutch. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It is very common that your clutch will drag a small amount with the tire off the ground. I wouldnt worry to much about it. If you have the clutch in and the bike in 1st, can you stop the tire from turning with your hand? If not then worry about it.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't quite that easy. I have to let my glove drag on the tire for a few revolutions befor I can get it to stop. Could it be that I haven't riden the bike in over two days?? Clutch plates have dried out a little? I just don't want to wreck anything in the process of supposedly making improvements.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well try this. If you put your hand on the tire first, then put it in 1st, it shouldnt try to move to much... Once the tire start to spin it should take some force to get it to stop... It is very common for tire spin when it goes into gear. Does the bike try to role if it is on the ground?

one other thing that makes this happen is when the clutch basket gets dents in it, the plates dont seperate very well... Dont worry to much about it unless the bike is trying to move when it is on the ground.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it doesn't start to roll when it is on the ground. I checked and if I hold my hand on the tire when it gos into gear it tugs a little bit but does not come out of my hand. Sometimes and only sometimes I get a clunk when I shift into first from neutral even before I release the clutch ( when it is on the ground). From what I have seen you say this isn't that big of a deal unless it is really bad or the bike is moving. Thanks for your help.
This is my first bike and I have just had a bad repair shop experience so I am tring to fix everything myself. I have done a lot with cars but this is the first time I have messed with a bike. It is very reasuring to get your opinion as well as the opinions of the other gixxer.com guys. I love this site! Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
The symptoms u are mentioning are normal for these bikes [clunking into 1st, rolling wheel on stand]. I have every1 of them

REgarding the clutch, turn the adjuster at the clutch lever all the way in. Then turn the one at the countershaft, outwards [counter-clockwise].

It'll give u the freeplay u need, then fine tune via the clutch lever adjuster.

6 threads out's nothing. Mine's got over 10 threads showing
[Uh-oh, does that mean my clutch is onthe way out
]

KaTz

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply KaTz. I guess 6 threads isn't alot. I only had a few showing and moving to 6 seemd like alot of turns.. On a side note. My clutch used to make a whirring sound with it released in neutral. Pull in the clutch and it would go way. After the adjust it seems that the sound is gone. I hope permenantly!
Thanks again for the advise/help!!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Originally posted by Jixxer97:
I adjusted my clutch yesterday. My handle bar adjustment was almost all the way out and the case adjustment (major) was about 6 threads out. I turned the handle bar adjuster all the way in and tried to take up most of the slack at the case. I also adjusted the set screw that contacts the pin. I noticed that when I started the bike up on the stand the rear tire was turning. The trans was in first but the clutch was in. Also How tight should the pin adjustment be. It seems if you do it like the book says the pin sort of wobbles around a little. My big concern is that the clutch doesn't seem to let go all the way. I checked the faq and some people started to ask/answer this question but I didn't see any sort of a complete or definitive answer. As a note I have 24,000 mile son the bike and this is the original clutch. Any help would be great. Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i would say that it's time for a clutch...at 24,000 miles and it's just now starting to show signs of wear, retire it...let it go...put in a new clutch and start on another 24000...

dwayne

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Hey its no problem.. I have been in your boat... It takes time but you will learn as you work on your bike.. it has a lot of the same trates as a car when you look for problems... But it never hurts to ask for help...

John

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Guys,

Im not very mechanical, but when you say "clutch basket" what do you mean? The clutch outer housing? (the bit with the springs around the outside?)

I'm trying to work out if I'm having the "skipping neutral" problem, and what needs replacing.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I dont think it is a sign of a old clutch. If it was old and ready to go it would slip more then drag... It sounds like the outer basket it notched and the plates are not disengaging all the way. It is commonwhen you have a lot of miles on the bike... Mine did it till I changed the basket... Now it is fine... But the baskets are not cheap (i got mine from a parts bike so it was free). Anyhow... Doesnt sound like it is going out.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts