Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having intermittent electrical issues with my 05 600. Every now and then the cluster will shut off along with the front lights and reset like it lost a ground. It would do it a lot if I reached in and grabbed the harness and gave it a jiggle. I pulled the front harness out and found my headlight wire and the large ground in the main connection all burnt up. Decided to strip the layers and found some repairs done to the turn signal wires and then these gold crimp connection of wires that I’m wondering if it is factory? I’m going to replace this whole harness with a new one but I’m just curious what’s factory and not lol.

Edit: Mods please move this to the correct part of the forum if this is not the correct area. I apologize as im still learning this forum. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it’s factory it won’t have any splices in the instance that u do u have to splice a wire solder and shrink wrap the wire so it doesn’t come loose or short out if it touches the frame

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just replace it since u have it but for future reference any splices must be soldiered and shrink wrapped as to no not expose them to the elements went thru the same thing with my 97 750 srad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that’s exactly what makes me think this was a repair done by the previous owner who low sided it. I can’t see a factory harness being conjoined like this with out some kind of weather proofing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
And that’s exactly what makes me think this was a repair done by the previous owner who low sided it. I can’t see a factory harness being conjoined like this with out some kind of weather proofing.
I recently cut an OEM handlebar loom to fit on an aftermarket button cluster, and those copper clamps were there as well, though they were covered with black electrical tape instead of masking tape

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is blowing my mind that a factory harness would utilize electrical tape opposed to heat shrink with glue as a sufficient weather proof material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts