Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT! No more clunking noise. I tightend the motormounts (Where the framesliders are) And Also rerouted the brakes lines And punt rubber mallets around them where the lines slap the frontfender. One of the two fixed the clunking. Only the plinging sound saga continues.

When compressings (bumping it up And down By pushing And pulling the bars) the frontforks, a cracking/clunking/ticking noise appears. With the front brakes compressed But also with the rear brake instead to keep the bike from moving while compressing the bars by pushing and pulling the bars. Also when pulling the bars up I hear a high pitch noise like When a coin falls on the ground *pling pling. At first I thought this was My keyring on the bike key 馃槃

The cracking can Also be heart When the bike is chilling on the side stand for some time, And i jump / get on it. It Will give one crack sound.

I recently replaced, brake Calipers pads rotors. Torqued Everything back to spec. But I have to Say that i dont know if the noise described above was already there earlier. Maybe I did just notice it When going over the bike after the Work I did.

Also redid the front wheel install because I did not know about doing pinch bolts one side compressing the Forks few times then the other side etc. 100% like the manuals instruct this time. 2 of the fork pinch (on of Each side) seemed crooked/ curved/ bent. When I removed en reinstalled the first time it was on a paddock. (Holding it under the Forks bottoms).

Also When I bought this bike a year ago And I Got it home. I discovered that the pinch bolts Where not tightend, even stuck out a bit. The previous owner did fork seals And quess forget to tighten them.

sorry for the long story Just putting everything out there for background info purpose

Can somebody point me in the direction on What to look for? Thanx in advance.

You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
I'd normally be suspicious of the front rotors but you say that you replaced them. I don't follow your statements about bent pinch bolts but if they tighten, they're probably OK. I'm most suspicious of the steering head bearings. You need to raise the bike so that the front end swings free. I pick mine up by the frame sliders but there are ways to raise it from underneath. Then check for a "notch" that you can feel when the steering is rotated through center. Also check if the wheel can be moved forward and back. There are youtube videos about all this like this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Small edit. When I go And drive the bike; on bumpy surface or on speed bumps I hear the louder clunking noise. But going straight on a pretty smooth surface I hear the pling pling.. 馃檭 sounds like a ring between a bolt is loose, a chime sound... other then the sounds the bike seems to behave normal

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I'd normally be suspicious of the front rotors but you say that you replaced them. I don't follow your statements about bent pinch bolts but if they tighten, they're probably OK. I'm most suspicious of the steering head bearings. You need to raise the bike so that the front end swings free. I pick mine up by the frame sliders but there are ways to raise it from underneath. Then check for a "notch" that you can feel when the steering is rotated through center. Also check if the wheel can be moved forward and back. There are youtube videos about all this like this.
I will check this and report back thanks for the info and link 馃憤馃憤

Might your new rotors be fully floating? They can "clink".

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Might your new rotors be fully floating? They can "clink".
Yes They are, motomaster flamediscs. is it possible that this causes the *plingpling? Its plausible, because on a straight road with No bumps I still sometimes hear that sound...

Congrats on finding the source of a major part of your noise. It sounds like the bike was reassembled by an incompetent. I can only suggest that you inspect the entire bike to see what else might be wrong. The preventative maintenance section of the service manual is a start, but only that. For example, it doesn't involve the motor mounts.

If you search for "floating rotors" you'll get many hits. Several, like this, mention rattling/clanking. So that might be what you're hearing.

I looked into the Moto-Master flame discs and left unimpressed. As best I can tell, their buttons provide both lateral alignment of the disc with the center hub and transmit the braking force from the disc to the hub, which is aluminum and weaker/wears easier. That is a poor design IMO. If you look at the Brake Tech rotors, their buttons provide the alignment but the braking force is transmitted directly by the way that the disk and hub interlock. Jeff Gehrs patented that design. Brembo's T-drive also separates the alignment from the braking force, but by an inferior method (I've read the patent and have wondered if the T-drive infringes). Loosening the buttons on the OEM rotors was once a hot topic here until people realized that the biggest wear point was at the buttons and loosening them increased the wear rate.

P.S. Loctite is your friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts