Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally a video that clears it up once and for all.

I always heard the two terms used interchangeably and wondered what the differences were. I always heard that "clip" was often used for mags but its wrong. I wanted to know the differencecs so I searched. And I found a very informative video that explains the differences.

So I thought Id post it here for other gun noobs like me.

Moto_Joe said:
Calling a Magazine a Clip is like calling a girls butthole her vagina. Sure they can sortof serve the same purpose, but they are NOT the same thing, nor are they interchangeable

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have always told people the way he explains it. Clip feeds a mag, mag feed the firearm. Really simple, people still mess it up.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Good video but it's tough to change people's terminology. I've stop correcting people as I think I was offending some and the others would continue to call it a 'clip' regardless.

But here's another one I get every so often. What's a 'Glock 40'? Most know there is no such model and know what's implied but there are many .40 S&W caliber Glocks out there. Just last week I talked to someone who just got his CPL and told me he wants a "Glock 40." I said which one and he just looked at me like I was crazy/stupid. :dunno

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
I have a ton of clips to quick-load the magazines in my Mausers :monkeyface

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
Not worth the debate. If someone understands what you mean, then communication has been effective regardless.

I'm with beanfield. Don't be a dick.

However, environment or context will have something to do with it too. If you're in a gun shop and you use the wrong term, you're probably an idiot.

--Wag--

·
GDC's only parttime ninja
1,027 Posts
im wondering can i use an ar15 clip to load my 5.7 pistol mag

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
im wondering can i use an ar15 clip to load my 5.7 pistol mag
I think the base of a 5.7x28 is smaller than that of a 5.56x45. That may cause a few issues with the stripper clips. Then you'd need some sort of way for them to guide into the 5.7 magazine. It looks like the 5.7 is double column double feed like an AR magazine so you can just push rounds straight down in. I'm thinking they'd have to design a special feeder for it.

A stripper clip guide is 8 bucks at Cheaper Than Dirt. If you already have an AR, you're not wasting your money even if it can't be adapted to your FN pistol.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
One exception to the rule (that I know of) is the M1 Garand

Outside of that, clip feeds a mag. A magazine feeds rounds to be fired into the chamber.

Some say fuck it, it doesnt matter. But IMO being precise in what you mean IS important in everything in life, as it DOES matter sometimes.

If I were in the middle of a battle, and I asked you to go grab the five clips in my gear bag......... which contained five magazines for my pistol, and five clips for my rifle... and you came back with the pistol magazines when I needed rifle rounds I will probably be pretty pissed off.

That and you sound like a fucking retard when you fuck it up, and any serious gun nut wont take you seriously, and will likely be afraid to go to the range with you :lol

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
One exception to the rule (that I know of) is the M1 Garand

Outside of that, clip feeds a mag. A magazine feeds rounds to be fired into the chamber.
In the Garand it's still a loading clip that feeds a magazine. It just stays in there until the last round is fired. The advantage is that it's easier to plop in than strip the rounds out of a stripper clip. You also know exactly when you are firing the last round - unfortunately, so does your enemy if he's not too far away :lmao

·
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
You're talking to a non-gunny person, who has a possibility of conversion. He asks a question about pistols and clips.

Rather than get bent outta shape, just answer the damn question. Because YOU KNOW what he means. HE KNOWS what he means. And you don't come across as a pedantic know-it-all and alienate the fellow. It was an honest mistake and instead of him asking more and getting interested he thinks your an asshole.

I assume you all actively blow your nose or use a tissue? Do you correct someone every time they say "kleenex" when it is not, in fact, a Kleenex brand of tissue.

A man sneezes, "ACHOO!! oh jeez, can you hand me a kleenex?"

Moto_Bro drops and does a tactical roll, pointing his kahr( with a clip full of bullets) at the man, "IT'S A GENERIC BRAND TISSUE, NOT A KLEENEX, WHICH IS ACTUALLY JUST THE BRAND NAME OF A POPULAR LINE OF TISSUES!!! NOW SAY IT RIGHT!!!!!

·
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lmao

But youre right. Just answer the guys question. Then if he shows more interest in guns, you can later point out the difference between a clip and mag. Then you can tell him the actual difference and what each does, while showing a gun to him/her. <-- BUT ONLY if he/she shows a later interest in WANT to know more. Then you have the floor to advise them.

That way you dont come across as a dick.

You (hopefully) reeled them into(wanting to learn) guns.

And you got a chance to point out and explain to them what a clip or mag is and does. All while not beeing an ass. :biggrin :lol

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
The issue is not ignorance, and a person who is not into guns saying it wrong. I couldnt care less about a non gun person not knowing about them in passing conversation. If the conversation gets more in depth though, correction is in order IMO.

The issue in my mind is someone who IS into guns looking like a retard saying it wrong, then after being politely corrected insisting on saying it the other way just because they feel like it, making themselves look like bumbling retards with deadly firearms, rather than someone who is educated in the firearm they are handling.

When someone who owns or handles a firearm is ignorant to the names of its parts, procedures, policies and practices of handling it, it makes that person look incompetent, and to be honest I am not sure I want that person around me with a firearm if they are incompetent.

Sound familiar chris :rolleyes

That is a problem with society today in my eyes. Willful ignorance. It runs rampant. People not saying what they mean, or meaning what they say lowers the collective IQ of our entire country.

Your Kleenex analogy is not the same by the way. A brand name becoming synonymous with a product (Kleenex, Bandaid,Qtip) is not the same as calling one thing something completely different.

Your analogy would be more like calling my Kahr, a Glock, because it is half plastic. It has happened..... and guess what, I politely corrected the dude, and everything was fine. Had he referred to the magazine, I would have corrected that too.

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
That is a problem with society today in my eyes. Willful ignorance. It runs rampant. People not saying what they mean, or meaning what they say lowers the collective IQ of our entire country.
Nailed it.

There's a time and a place for correcting error. And a right way to correct error.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
yes some things should be corrected I agree with you.
Your first post
That and you sound like a fucking retard when you fuck it up, and any serious gun nut wont take you seriously, and will likely be afraid to go to the range with you

That and you sound like a fucking retard when you fuck it up, and any serious gun nut wont take you seriously, and will likely be afraid to go to the range with you :lol
just comes off very vague. It made it seem like it doesnt matter who the person is, regardless of a background, they are automatically labeled a retard and unsafe at the range.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
yes some things should be corrected I agree with you.
Your first post just comes off very vague. It made it seem like it doesnt matter who the person is, regardless of a background, they are automatically labeled a retard and unsafe at the range.

I would be hesitant yes. More hesitant than I already am of someone I dont know at a range.

Someone seemingly clueless enough about guns to call a magazine a clip, is likely cluless as to the proper safety protocols, etiquette, and handling of a firearm as well.

Does that mean they cant shoot? Nope. does that mean they are new to guns even? Nope. And does that mean they are "unsafe"....... maybe.

But I definitely would be more apt to keep a VERY close eye on them, or avoid the range altogether with them.

I know TONS of people who HAVE guns, who shouldnt. Or people who have guns who I would not shoot with because they are generally clueless.

hell we had a member here who shot a hole in his roof, due to carelessness and what I see as poor "housekeeping" practices that make him an unsafe firearms owner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts