Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.)Should you use just regular dish soap to was your bike? If not, what do you recommend?

2.)What kind of wax can you use on a bike? Will regular turtle wax be ok?

3.) Keeping the chain lubed...? How ofter should it be lubed, and what brand lube should I use?

Thanks to all that reply

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
1: I use auto shampoo, but dish soap works fine

2: Just go for Turtle Wax

3: Lube the chain every 3-500 miles, more often if you ride in rain. I always look at the chain after riding - if the rollers in the middle of the chain are starting to get shiny, it's time for lubing. Get a white chain wax spray. I have good experience with Castrol and Maxima. Lube right after riding, while the chain is still hot - that helps the wax seep in better. And then wait 15 minutes or so before riding after lubing to prevent the wax from going all over the place...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
1. 50/50 simple green works great as well if you don't like to use soap. (50 simple, 50 water)

2. any car wax product works great but if you want to wipe it in a quick style. Pick up a can of honda pro polish cleaner. Trust me, you will never want to go back on any other product.

3. agree with SVS on the chain. Also, check to see if there is any loose slack on the chain. You might want to tighten the chain when that happens.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
3. agree with SVS on the chain. Also, check to see if there is any loose slack on the chain. You might want to tighten the chain when that happens.
That would be incorrect slack, not loose... The slack should be around 1-1.2" from top to bottom on the middle of the chain. A chain that's too tight wears faster and can break...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
That would be incorrect slack, not loose... The slack should be around 1-1.2" from top to bottom on the middle of the chain. A chain that's too tight wears faster and can break...
i'm tripping over here SV
long day and i'm missing the weather outside and not able to enjoy it. Sucks to be me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts