Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to learn what is most owners city street cruising rpm? I try to keep mine under 5k. I don't think the GS becomes the GSXR until 8k+ after which in gears 2+ hyperspace is entered. Below which in normal traffic the GSXR is just a sexy looking race bike.

·
Registered
725 Posts
When I had mine, I was usually around the 6k
But I would guess the 'most comfortable' rpm range also has to do with how your bike is set up
Bone stock, with the SET still engaged and the woodstove still mounted, you'll have more low end grunt than with a full system and tuned for top end power

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100% factory original with no plans to change anything. I'll take the grunt over 180mph anyday. I agree 6k is the top end of most city street cruising, although an occasional 8k quick twist is fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geek, thanks for the response bro I toteilly understand what your saying. I'm kinda the opposite I try not to push mine over 6k in normal street traffic, unless I was going to jet. Highway is another thing altogether. I think 77mph in 6th is around 7k for me but I don't know for sure.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,451 Posts
RPM is always a delicate subject. Everyone is use to their car. Idling below 1000RPM, redliing at 6k, maybe 7k, and crusing at 2500 on the interstate. Plus you're inside with sound dampers all around you. So this feeling is what people expect from their bike. They turn the idle down so far it can't breathe, and lug the engine trying to keep if from soundling like they're hauling as. The fact is these engines are designed to turn really really fast. Keep it in the upper 2/3 of the RPM band. Don't worry what it sounds like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow Geek again you've helped me a heckuva lot. You've nailed exactly what my concern is. It just naturally bothers me to keep the motor above 10k for any longer than a couple of secs. Correct me if I'm wrong but 3rd gear+ @ 10k is definitely going to be 100mph+? Hell 1st gear @10k will really be 55mph+!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Suzuki TL1000S and a Aprilia RSV Mille and just bought a GSX-R 750 a week ago, and I havenť been riding a inline 4 cylinder bike since a little more than 4 years ago when a sold my Honda 949 Fireblade, so I have to "readjust" myself to higher revs again.

On the 750 I'm around 5,5-7k rpm on city streets (on the TL1000 or the Mille I can be in 6th gear on 2500-3000 rpm when just rolling down the streets).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats still fast enough to get a 'safe driving award' or get the honor to wear a shiny pair of silver bracelets anywhere you ride which is pretty freakin' impressive for third damn gear!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Suzuki TL1000S and a Aprilia RSV Mille and just bought a GSX-R 750 a week ago, and I havenť been riding a inline 4 cylinder bike since a little more than 4 years ago when a sold my Honda 949 Fireblade, so I have to "readjust" myself to higher revs again.

On the 750 I'm around 5,5-7k rpm on city streets (on the TL1000 or the Mille I can be in 6th gear on 2500-3000 rpm when just rolling down the streets).
Jeez bro 7k in 6th is around 90!

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,931 Posts
I tend to keep the RPM higher and rev out a bit more, because I found that by lugging it around I ended up having some mild plug fouling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts