Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experiences with chrome wheels? I had a polished front wheel once, and did not find it that bad to maintain.

Just looking for people's opinions on these options for wheels.

Thanks, Mark

------------------
1990 GSXR750, reasonably modded

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that polishing would reduce weight also, but would not be enough to care about, unless obsessed...

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The only thing I've ever heard is that chrome has a tendency to embrittle the aluminum surface. I have NO idea whether this is true, or whether the embrittlement aspect would matter. Perhaps some closet metallurgists out there could comment???

------------------

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wheels were polished,they were a mission to keep clean.
I recently had the middle of the wheels(the three spokes and to the first lip)painted silver and just left the rest polished.
It's hard to notice its painted,looks awesome and is really easy to clean.

------------------

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
powdercoat ,em black.
my 0.02
Karl

------------------

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey KJ, I do keep the powdercoating option open too, but I desire a little more flash.

I currently have white rims, and I have NO problem keeping them clean - I must be a strange cat, cause I love to wash my bike - every Saturday AM, before the ride.

mark

------------------

·
Registered
33 Posts
A good compromise would be to polish the outer rim of the wheel and powdercoat the spokes and the middle section of the outer rim. I have got the black spokes with polished edge and it is pretty easy to keep clean. The rest of the bike though is a different matter.

Regards,

Dale

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
OK, re the polish thing. Is there anything wrong with polishing to a nice shine and then covering with a couple of decent coats of clear??? It _sounds_ like it would beat the pain of constant polishing rather than riding.

Does the polishing leave a surface that wouldn't 'like' the clearcoat (NOT anodized)?

------------------

·
Registered
434 Posts
clearcoat over the polished wheel will work great if you use the right paint for the job there is a special clearcoat for doing polished aluminum wheels which I believe is made by BASF also you can have them clear powdercoated. RE the chrome there is the cheap way which is chrome plated directly onto the aluminum and the good but more expensive way which is sometimes called triple plate or show chrome which involves plishing the wheel smooth copper plating the wheel polishing again to make the surface perfect then nickel plate and finally chrome plate and obviously there is a diff in price.

------------------
86 moded one end to the other

·
Banned
982 Posts
If Your gonna chrome em'..make sure it's triple chrome plated!!

Or if You do polish them..to a mirror finish that is....You can powdercoat a transparent color over them!!Thats what everyones doing these days!

------------------
"Joey-Red"
TWIN CYCLES
3 Bruckner blvd
Bronx,N.Y.10454
(718)292-TWIN

·
Registered
75 Posts
doug, can u post more info on the clear powdercoating. i called up a few places in the phone book and they don't know what i'm talking about

ben

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doug:
clearcoat over the polished wheel will work great if you use the right paint for the job there is a special clearcoat for doing polished aluminum wheels which I believe is made by BASF also you can have them clear powdercoated. RE the chrome there is the cheap way which is chrome plated directly onto the aluminum and the good but more expensive way which is sometimes called triple plate or show chrome which involves plishing the wheel smooth copper plating the wheel polishing again to make the surface perfect then nickel plate and finally chrome plate and obviously there is a diff in price.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
ben :)
http://www.geocities.com/bentang_00/gsxr.html

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Hey Ben, I've seen this clear powdercoating before on auto wheels. It's been done. If you find a place that does not know what you want, you don't want to get them to do it...There are plenty of places here in Van that do that stuff (Aircraft, marine industries etc.) I really gotta see that bike in action one day. My 88 aspires to a facelift not unlike yours. Got an SRAD tail for it and some lights etc. http://24.113.193.215/bike/bike.htm

And as far as chrome goes, it does not affect aluminum, but almost no dipper will guarantee it. Iy just does not stick the same as with metal.

------------------
keep it rubber side down....

·
Registered
75 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cosworth:
Hey Ben, I've seen this clear powdercoating before on auto wheels. It's been done. If you find a place that does not know what you want, you don't want to get them to do it...There are plenty of places here in Van that do that stuff (Aircraft, marine industries etc.) I really gotta see that bike in action one day. My 88 aspires to a facelift not unlike yours. Got an SRAD tail for it and some lights etc. http://24.113.193.215/bike/bike.htm

And as far as chrome goes, it does not affect aluminum, but almost no dipper will guarantee it. Iy just does not stick the same as with metal.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

um, can u recommend a place please? i'm pretty much stuck with calling every name in the phone book.

as for my bike... yeah i would like to see it in action too. still broken and funds are running low

is that converted blue gixxer in that link u sent me a local bike?

------------------
ben

http://www.geocities.com/bentang_00/gsxr.html

[This message has been edited by Benjamin Tang (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Nope. It's from San Jose. Looks good though huh? Is the ride still in the shop?
OH... I'm not aware of any powercoating places here. I've only lived here for 5 years and don't know all the little nooks and crannys yet. Call some hot rod shop and ask them where they would recommend.
------------------
keep it rubber side down....

[This message has been edited by cosworth (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Registered
434 Posts
try rainbow powdercoating 604 521 0899

------------------
86 moded one end to the other

1 - 20 of 21 Posts