Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to sound like a retard.. but i probably am
But I see these guys and their chrome frames.. well i got to look at the bikes and their frames are black. How would I go about a chrome frame? would I have to disassemble the whole bike and sand the frame down, then paint it with chrome and finish all that good stuff, and then re-assemble it? or are there chrome frames out there you can buy?

also i know chrome tends to be weaker than regular steel/iron etc, is that also the case with these?

thanks again for helping this idiot

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bike has to be disassembled, frame stripped (chemically) and prepped so that it is glass smooth. Then it is dipped in a copper/nickel electroplating bath (ususally 2-3 times for a good job,) then after all of that, it is dipped in the Chrome bath once or twice. Then, after that it is polished with a fine jeweler's rouge and usually sealed with something like zoopseal, etc. If you see a chrome frame for sale, it is not made out of chrome, it is simply plated as I described above, so it is not any weaker than stock.

There is no "Chrome paint" that I am aware of, however there is a powdercoat product that is similar to chrome in appearance though not as smooth or shiny. It is very, very tough stuff though.

Personally, I would just go with a polished frame if you have to have the shine. Polished aluminum is easier to take care of, and with proper detail can look quite good. It is more manually intensive than Chrome-plating, but a lot cheaper.

If you want to polish your frame yourself, there is a good write-up on here. Just search it.

Personally, I think chrome on a sportbike looks retarded. If you want the show-thing though, I guess thats the way to go. I personally am a huge fan of the Black frame that most manufacturers have gone to recently. Save the chrome for the Busa riders and the Chopper crowd. Oh, and the big rigs, I forgot them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah I love the black frame, and have a buddy who has an 02 750 who wants to powder coat his black. Any idea's on a price for doing that? And solider, I don't on intend on hi-jacking your thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i wasnt going to do it, i was just curious about the process.. i am a fan of the all black look as well, but you have to admit, black and chrome does look pretty sleek.. but likeyou said, more for show...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Powdercoating the frame black would be kinda expensive. Depends on how many parts to get done, whether or not you strip your bike and take it to them, etc. I wouldn't pay over about $250 for just the frame if you take it apart. Other than that, about $650 for the frame, rearsets, pass. pegs, triple clamps, etc. (That is if you want the whole blacked out look.) A buddy of mine has an anniversary R1 in the all black, and he had everything that wasn't already black powdercoated. It looks way sick. The logos are red, and other than that, it is all black. It kinda looks like a stealth fighterish kinda thing.
Personally I love it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You could always polish instead of chrome. Lighter and cheaper/do it yourself.

I didn't particularly care for the black frames when they first came out, but I really like they way they look now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts