Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an annual physical, and I just got my blood work back. They told me everhting was normal except for my choelsteral. I was told that it was 231 (which i found is boderline high risk)

I told my dr. my diet, and my excercise, and he said that it was great. I am also down 30 pounds from my physical last year (was 210 last year, now 180) But yet, my cholesteral was up considerably from last year. He said it could be a fluke (maybe I didn't fast well enough the night before) And ordered me more tests in 3 months.

My question, how do I lower that number (without medication, he said medication was the best) But I prefer to do it naturally.

some facts
26 years old,
eat 4-6 meals a day
5-9, 180 pounds
hit the gym 4-5 times a week (atleast 3 days of cardio)
I don't eat fast food, or pre packaged stuff
I don't eat food late night
I only drink water during the day, and beers on weekends
No soda (maybe 2 cans a month)

so wheter or not the test was a fluke, how can I lower it?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Foods that are high in saturated fat and to a lesser extent high in cholesterol, boost your cholesterol levels.
-These include foods like egg yolks, fatty meats, and full-fat dairy products.

-cut down on trans fatty acids as well, which are more often found in processed and fried foods.

some foods -- eaten in moderation -- can actually improve your cholesterol levels. They include:

* Fatty fish, like tuna and salmon
* Nuts, especially walnuts and almonds
* Oatmeal and oat bran<-------
* Foods fortified with stanols, like some margarines and orange juices

Herbs and vitamins too:
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B3, also called niacin, is used to lower cholesterol. Specifically, it appears to lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol.

Artichoke Leaf
There is some research suggesting that artichoke leaf extract (Cynara scolymnus) may help to lower cholesterol.
Artichoke leaf extract may work by limiting the synthesis of cholesterol in the body.

Soluble Fiber
Soluble fiber appears to reduce LDL cholesterol by reducing cholesterol absorption in the intestines. Soluble fiber binds with cholesterol so that it is excreted.
Soluble fiber can be found as a dietary supplement, such as psyllium powder, or in foods such as:
* Oats, barley, rye
* Legumes (peas, beans)
Some fruits such as apples, prunes, and berries
* Some vegetables, such as carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, yams
Five to 10 grams a day of soluble fiber has been found to decrease LDL cholesterol by approximately 5

What is Policosanol?
Other names: Octacosanol, 1-Octacosanol, N-Octacosanol, Octacosyl Alcohol
Policosanol, a dietary supplement, is a mixture of alcohols isolated from Cuban sugarcane wax. It contains about 60% octacosanol.
Because patent issue and the US trade embargo against Cuba, sugarcane policosanol is not widely available in the United States. Instead, policosanol products sold in the US are generally derived from beeswax and wheat germ.

Also, here's 14 foods that can reduce your Cholesterol.
http://www.laurelonhealthfood.com/2007/08/04/14-foods-that-lower-cholesterol/

And of course, exercise. :cheers

·
21,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so wings at steppy's on a saturday night doesn't count?

:shifty

oh he is right, I do eat late night on saturday nights occasionally....... but nothing like that during the week

·
21,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foods that are high in saturated fat and to a lesser extent high in cholesterol, boost your cholesterol levels.
-These include foods like egg yolks, fatty meats, and full-fat dairy products.

-cut down on trans fatty acids as well, which are more often found in processed and fried foods.

some foods -- eaten in moderation -- can actually improve your cholesterol levels. They include:

* Fatty fish, like tuna and salmon
* Nuts, especially walnuts and almonds
* Oatmeal and oat bran<-------
* Foods fortified with stanols, like some margarines and orange juices

Herbs and vitamins too:
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B3, also called niacin, is used to lower cholesterol. Specifically, it appears to lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL cholesterol.

Artichoke Leaf
There is some research suggesting that artichoke leaf extract (Cynara scolymnus) may help to lower cholesterol.
Artichoke leaf extract may work by limiting the synthesis of cholesterol in the body.

Soluble Fiber
Soluble fiber appears to reduce LDL cholesterol by reducing cholesterol absorption in the intestines. Soluble fiber binds with cholesterol so that it is excreted.
Soluble fiber can be found as a dietary supplement, such as psyllium powder, or in foods such as:
* Oats, barley, rye
* Legumes (peas, beans)
Some fruits such as apples, prunes, and berries
* Some vegetables, such as carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, yams
Five to 10 grams a day of soluble fiber has been found to decrease LDL cholesterol by approximately 5

What is Policosanol?
Other names: Octacosanol, 1-Octacosanol, N-Octacosanol, Octacosyl Alcohol
Policosanol, a dietary supplement, is a mixture of alcohols isolated from Cuban sugarcane wax. It contains about 60% octacosanol.
Because patent issue and the US trade embargo against Cuba, sugarcane policosanol is not widely available in the United States. Instead, policosanol products sold in the US are generally derived from beeswax and wheat germ.

Also, here's 14 foods that can reduce your Cholesterol.
http://www.laurelonhealthfood.com/2007/08/04/14-foods-that-lower-cholesterol/

And of course, exercise. :cheers

awesome info, thank you :cheers :cheers

my DR. even said, it may have been a poor job of fasting, so I don't know. I would just rather get rid of the problem before I have to go back in 3 months

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
awesome info, thank you :cheers :cheers

my DR. even said, it may have been a poor job of fasting, so I don't know. I would just rather get rid of the problem before I have to go back in 3 months

No problem. Good luck! :cheers

·
21,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think that I found a problem.........

I have been drinking about 4 protein shakes a day. I had one about 10 pm the night before my test. As I was making another shake last night, I just happend to notice that protein shake i was taking, EAS brand, has 65mg of choelestrol, about 22% of the daily recomended intake :eek :eek

This seems like it is alot, and taking in 4 shakes a day, that is about 88% of DV. Do you think this can attribute to my high numbers? and if so, I think i need to change protein brands

·
Faps to Fantasy Football, and fails at that even
10,194 Posts
i think that I found a problem.........

I have been drinking about 4 protein shakes a day. I had one about 10 pm the night before my test. As I was making another shake last night, I just happend to notice that protein shake i was taking, EAS brand, has 65mg of choelestrol, about 22% of the daily recomended intake :eek :eek

This seems like it is alot, and taking in 4 shakes a day, that is about 88% of DV. Do you think this can attribute to my high numbers? and if so, I think i need to change protein brands

4 shakes a day?!?!?!?:eek why?? that is most likey your problem. One of my friends drank 3 protien shakes a day and he excercise regularly, his cholestrol was high. as a result the DR recommended ditching the protien shakes.

it looks like EAS has one of the higher cholestrol numbers

Cholesterol 65mg 22%

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
apart from what sussessrealm posted (which is right on the money btw) i would suggest supplementing with organic flax seed oil. not the tablets, but the liquid in it's raw form. it has been repeatedly shown to not only lower LDL but BOOST HDL levels.

1) sort diet out. no way around this; avoid the transient satisfaction of foods high in saturated fats/sodium/sugar for the long term satisfaction of a favorable blood lipid profile. plus you can feed your vanity because you will look better. ;)

2) cardiovascular exercise. no way around this one either, so bite the bullet and put in 30-45 minutes at least 4 times a week

3) supplement with flax seed oil. i really like this stuff:

http://omegahealthstore.com/cgi-bin/omega?XwsSrvID=XOmega01,[a=01[b=31[c=01[d=gemotuna[e=00189957[f=xxxxxxxx[g=183-36324

...one of those will last you at least 2 months if you take a tablespoon every night before bed.

you DO NOT need medication, no matter what the medical industry (your doctor) tries to tell you.

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
also, protein supplements are just that- SUPPLEMENTS. they are meant to aid your daily intake of nutrients, not comprise it. the majority of your protein should come from food.

i use the same brand, and my intake is 5 scoops per day. also, remember that the percentages on the nutritional label are based on 2500 calories per day. if your intention is to gain muscle mass, you will need close to double that, so keep that in mind.

the conundrum most people get into when trying to get all their meals in is the fight with work or their social life. eating by the clock is a very limiting thing, and the temptation is to use supplements instead of whole foods, because it is easier and quicker. you won't get anywhere this way... you can't beat what mother nature gave you, so if you are serious, start cooking and invest in tupperware.

good luck

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
Isnt there decent research that stated that ingested cholestorol is not influenced by food intake but rather genetics... Eating more cholestorol does not mean that your blood cholestorol will increase...

·
Banned
5,290 Posts
Isnt there decent research that stated that ingested cholestorol is not influenced by food intake but rather genetics... Eating more cholestorol does not mean that your blood cholestorol will increase...
genetics definitely play a large role, but your diet is a major factor.

·
Banned
12,040 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
you can't beat what mother nature gave you, so if you are serious, start cooking and invest in tupperware.

good luck

Yeah. Tupperware is the way to go. Plan meals, pack 2-3 days ahead, and buy chicken breasts in bulk, salmon, frozen veggies etc, and just remember to take them in the morning to work. It becomes natural after awhile.

I wrap whole wheat tortilla wraps (less bread) with eggs and salsa and turkey chunks, or organic peanut butter mixed with organic applesauce in one of those wraps for breakfast etc. Handful of non-salted almonds, raisins, banana, grapefruit, etc etc etc....

Shit...Now I'm motivated and gotta go punch the hell out of my Wavemaster bag. Where's my Disturbed CD? :D:punk:D

http://sumfunmusic.net/music/10 thousand fist/Disturbed - (Ten Thousand Fists) - 02 - Just Stop.mp3

·
Banned
5,290 Posts

i am not discounting thise articles at all... but there are hundreds of thousands of people with arthrosclerosis/heart disease who ate themselves there. you can't pin it all on genetics.

give me two twins (same genetic makeup) and have them both on the same exercise regimen. we'll put one on red meat, whole eggs, whole milk, cheese, potatoes and pasta. the other will eat only lean white meats, no dairy fat, no starchy carbs and will supplement with protein powders and omega-3 fats. you will see two people who not only look quite different but will also have radically different blood test results.

·
21,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am gonna stop by the store after work tonight and pick up some flaxseed oil, and give that a try :cheers

·
21,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to replace that many meals with protein shakes. There's nothing "natural" about it.

I weigh 180 pounds, and should consume about 180g of protein a day. So it is not about replacing meals

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
11 Participants
bumblebeegsxr
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing