Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
choice of tyres for a \'97 600

Well, it's time for me to replace my tyres.

I've currently got a Mez3 on the front, and a Mez4 on the back, but haven't ridden any other tyre, so i'm not in a position to know what is a decent tyre and what is not...

What rubber do you advise?

It doesn't have to be super sticky, but should allow for some fun riding on the weekend, and a small amount of commuting during the week!

Your advice would be appreciated!
Cheers!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: choice of tyres for a \'97 600

I only used Dunlop D207's on my 2000 600. They were fine with no complaints. Stopped once when it was raining and there was steam coming of the buggers. There are loads to choose from Pirelli Diablos, Dunlop 207/208's, Bridgestone BT-010 etc. To be honest they al relatively cost the same so ask the tire fitter.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

i reckon you can't go past pirelli diablo's, i've been running them for a while and they are awesome, i had 207's and 208's before that, the dunlops last a bit longer but the pirelli is a much sticker tyre. I've never heard anything good about bridgestones, personally i wouldn't use them. But Metzler M1's are pretty good too.

never sacrifice wear for grip... buying a more expensive sticker tyre might cost you more now but it could be the difference between dropping your bike or keeping it upright in which case its probably worth the extra money...

thats my 2 cents...

·
Registered
46 Posts

the later metzelers that you have on are good tyres. something similar would be pirelli dragon corsas or the diablos. both good tyres with good grip and not bad in the rain. the bit about nothing good being said about brigdestones is utter
, 010's or 012's are good tyres with plenty of grip and are one of the better tires in the rain. i have run both on my gixxer and they have performed well.

personally i run supercorsas or rennsports, they offer excellent grip, heat up quickly and are cheap 2nd hand from racers. in the rain you need to be smooth on them but they still offer good road wet grip. i have tried all sorts in the past and these are what ive settled on. the one tyre i would vote against is the michelin pilot range, take a long time to heat up and you live in wales, need i say more...

if i can find it ill post a link to a good tire report, its done on a gixxer 750 but it might help you make a choice.

found it, heres the link.

http://www.tl1000.com/pb_tires/sport_rider_sep_2001.htm

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

This is really an unanswerable question, if your happy with the Metz then stick with them. If u really wanna change then go for any of the top brands ; Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli. It's all down to riding style. I always used to run Pilot Sports, then Pilot Race, but now I'm a Pirelli man. I find the grip from the Pirellis is much better. All the guys above have recommended good tyres, try them out and see if u like them, if not change 'em

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts

Steve Strange said:
This is really an unanswerable question, if your happy with the Metz then stick with them. If u really wanna change then go for any of the top brands ; Dunlop, Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli. It's all down to riding style. I always used to run Pilot Sports, then Pilot Race, but now I'm a Pirelli man. I find the grip from the Pirellis is much better. All the guys above have recommended good tyres, try them out and see if u like them, if not change 'em
I'd have to agree with Steve...

I'm a rennsport/corsa man, but I would suggest you try a few out (apart from the Michilens which aren't too good). A few people I know run D207RR/GP and they recommend them...

Dave

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

I was always very happy with my BT010 Bridgstones, much better than the stock D204's my 600 came with

Personally, I wouln't be able to take advantage of any stickier a tyre and these gave amazing confidence (for me, at least) which on the road is probably more important than outright grip. Unless you're a nutter

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

oh, and the Bridgies didn't get a flat spot from commuting either and warmed up very quickly. All in all a good all round tyre.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts