Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously this is just my opinion but let me back it up by saying i'm sold on these chinese fairings especially the ones sold by hudson-moto on ebay.

I got tired of the stock black/grey fairing on my 2011 gixxer 750 so i decided to explore my options. I researched my butt off for a few months and looked at every aftermarket fairing online and on ebay. I researched everything from $300 sets to over $1000 sets. All of them had similar feedback. (ie they were not a perfect fit, needed some drilling, plastic was too cheap, tabs were missing or broken, paint was scratched or peeling, pieces didn't line up, etc) Even the more expensive versions had the same issues being reported by other buyers. Because none of them were perfect I decided to take a chance on one of the least expensive versions. I reviewed and focused on the ones that appeared to be professional and had the most positive feedback. I came across hudson-moto on ebay. His prices were probably the lowest but his pics and description showed good quality plastic, good paint and the tabs were molded and not glued on. I never purchased from this seller before and I personally don't know anyone who has, but my gut told me to take a chance. I thought what could I lose besides the $350 for the set. I am also the macgyver type so if I needed to modify anything during installation it wouldn't be a huge problem for me.

4 weeks later it arrived in a very neat package. The 25pc set came individually wrapped and all items were perfectly painted front and back. tabs were part of the mold and not glued on, as was advertised. Paint quality looked good and it did have a few coats of clear coat. I thought about applying more clear coat just to add a bit more protection but it's not something I have done before so I passed.

Now the best part. I took my time to remove everything, and kept all of my "break/fix" tools close by just in case I had to modify things. The hardest part was removing and swapping out the parts of the headlight assembly but I managed to do everything on my own with no problems. One tip, lay out all bolts on the side, and location of mounting point. There are just too many items to track. or tape them to the fairing holes.

Putting on the new fairing was pretty easy but it was very time consuming. Piece by piece I was amazed at how everything lined up. Every hole and tab lined up perfectly. Things were tight too with no gaps. I felt lucky but then came across two holes that needed to be slightly widen because of the layers of paint and clear coat. This was easily fixed with my rotary tool. I even went ahead and drilled holes to mount my frame sliders. At first I was concerned about cracking the plastic but I'm stubborn so I went ahead anyway. While drilling I noticed it was pretty thick and pretty strong for "cheap" plastic. It was also pretty flexible. I then compared the new plastic with the stock ones on weight and thickness. There wasn't much of a difference honestly. Maybe a true professional would bark at the slight difference in thickness or paint quality but I bet most would not. The paint was of high quality, and clear coat was applied evenly and with precision.
It appears exactly like advertised. The taps were not hand glued and the slots and bolt holes appeared to be done by machine. It seems like it went through a pretty sophisticated manufacturing process. Again, tabs, holes, slots, etc were part of the mold and they all lined up perfectly. Nothing was glued on or an after thought.

After about 8 hours, the bike was done and looked amazing. I am now a true believer of aftermarket fairings and I would buy these again and again as long as they are from the same seller. (and hopefully he is getting them from the same manufacturer) As for long turn use, only time with tell if they fail me but right now I have no reason to doubt the quality. Even if they completely shatter in an unforeseen incident what difference will it make if it is stock fairing or cheaper aftermarket. The real test is in how they hold up during regular riding at high speeds and in windy, rainy days. I will post a follow up in a few months.

For $350 I got a complete set of replacement fairings that looked awesome. Why spend more? Maybe I should get a second set of the same just in case they stop producing them. Pics attached.

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Color me dubious :shifty

For a first / only post by a new member that's so long & detailed (not to mention it's a positively GLOWING reference), about an ebay seller who's never been mentioned on gdc before, this seems suspiciously like a (very) thinly-veiled advertisement.

But what do I know

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I am with you... Especially with a NY location, and the name of the company is Hudson Moto.

Can I ask why you replaced perfectly good OEM fairings for cheap aftermarket stuff?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Can I ask why you replaced perfectly good OEM fairings for cheap aftermarket stuff?
Because he is affiliated with them:biggrin

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,384 Posts
Correct there would no other reason to swap out perfectly good factory fairings for cheap Chiness ones !!!

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Maybe I should get a second set of the same just in case they stop producing them.
:shifty

Correct there would no other reason to swap out perfectly good factory fairings for cheap Chiness ones !!!
Why sure there is. Sometimes...well, you see...sometimes life does...actions call for...from time to time...yeah, no, I got nothing.

Color me dubious :shifty
Where's my stuff, it's been over a month since I won the auction on Ebay. I bid, I won, I payed, I fulfilled my end of the deal. You took my money and gave me nothing in return. Now where's my stuff??!!

:dunno

·
Administrator
13,384 Posts
Where's my stuff, it's been over a month since I won the auction on Ebay. I bid, I won, I payed, I fulfilled my end of the deal. You took my money and gave me nothing in return. Now where's my stuff??!!

:dunno

NOW we've got a thread !!!!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
HOT damn here we go! :lmao

·
7,745 Posts
Dear Samantha
Thank you for your inquiry. Your $1.50 paypal payment was received 05/25. A bicycle courier was dispatched 4 days afterward. He assured me Montreal-Texas shouldn't take more than 12 weeks, although he appeared quite uncomfortable lugging the included 55-gallon "great big tub of lube" and the three extra tubs you ordered.

If you haven't received your shipment by late August, please feel free to contact us again for follow-up and refer to case ID# S65LKJ34JNHT!98JK8431

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
:lmao

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you guys all nuts??? Let me be clear! this is no advertisement, and no I do not know this Chinese fairing seller. Who cares if his name is Hudson-moto or shmoto. It came from China and I have the shipping labels to prove it. I also didn't care what it cost me. my decision was not based on cost but on seller communications and gut feeling. More expensive chinese brands had same issues and no one stood out from the crowd. So why take a chance on the most expensive?

My friend bought an expensive Chinese set and we had to drill and/or use zip ties on some of the openings just to get it to line up perfectly. it sucked and there was no way i was going to spend $800 on a set to get those results.

I was skeptical when i decided to get a set myself. I researched for over a month and took a chance on this seller simply because the seller provided plenty of pics was very responsive. His reviews were limited but they were pretty good. He said I would have it in 5-6 weeks and it arrived within 6 weeks as promised. The OEM fairing was boring. All black w/gray. You know the bike and you saw the pics. I had it for a long time and I was tired of the look. It also had a small crack on the front upper windscreen fairing near the bolts but nothing I couldn't fix with some glue. I chose to replace because I can. What's your reason for changing anything on your bike? It looks much better than stock even though it took forever to put on. This was not a 4 hour job. And for the shipped to door price of $358.00 I can get multiple designs to swap from time to time giving for a whole new look. I honestly wish i was getting paid for this. Heck my time as an IT executive is not cheap but this week is very quiet in my office. Come to think of it, maybe i should work out something with him and become a US distributor. Will you feel better now if I sold you a set for $700???

I'm not new to this forum either. I just haven't posted in years and I couldn't remember my last login id. My old registered email is no longer so I decided to start fresh. Does it really matter? and do I really care?

I've modded gixxer 1000s, ninja zx10r, 12r, and plenty of other bikes in between. I have over 20 years of riding experience. Not a pro racer but i've done super bike school and more track days than I can count. I also have a dedicated track only zx6r with race fairings. Quality on that bike isn't any better to be honest.

I would have given a negative review if the results were different. There are plenty of riders out there struggling with aftermarket fairings. I thought my review would help. I wish others would do the same. My friend paid over $800 for his set and it sucked. I'm convinced in this case, you do not get what you pay for. More expensive does not mean better quality. it's 50/50 at best. again, i took a chance and I was pleasantly surprised. Did it comes with bolts? no.. heat shield? no.. rubber grommets? no.. but those items can be easily swapped out from the OEM set. When i sell, I will also include the stock fairings. But for now i don't have to worry about messing up the stock fairings anymore than it has been. next up is powder coating the wheels to match. or purchase a new set. ride safe guys. and learn to relax a bit. life is too short!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Listen, the only one who isn't relaxed is you apparently.

:lmao

Your original post is funny to us.

So who do you do track days with? What tracks have you been to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually I meant to say "idiots" but my bad..

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts

·
7,745 Posts
  • There have been countless threads about about cheap chinese plastics
  • Along comes you with an overly-descriptive, detailed thread about how ALL the shortcomings of competing products are non-issues
  • For the cheapest $$$ (by far) product yet
  • From a previously unknown vendor
  • ....with a handle that’s curiously suggestive to your location
The forum you decided to share your glowing “reference” with immediately notices these oddities. All of our comments were polite and in no way offensive, in keeping with GDC forum guidelines.

You’ve been on GDC for years? Then you surely recognized that of the people who did politely respond, no less than FIVE of them are forum moderators :lmao

And we’re all nuts, idiots etc... Nope, no one’s overly-defensive here.

If you are trying to use social media to garner marketplace interest in a new product, I honestly think you need a little coaching on your people / networking skills :dunno

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
11 responses on nothing productive gave it away. You guys started with the insults. next time just simply ask. why rush to judgement just because someone states they like another person's product, and the product happens to be less expensive than other comparable products? I'll only pay top dollar for certain things and a set of plastic fairings is definitely not one of them. for $358 dollars I'm getting similar quality and a nicer look. what else in in a fairing? will the "better" ones be bullet proof? will they survive a crash? please... As long as they fit and last a decent amount of time, i'm good.

on that note, i apologize if someone felt offended but i felt offended. it's water under the bridge now and i have moved on. ride safe guys.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
This thread has outlived its usefullness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.