Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all hear about 'Chiken Strips', but how accurate are they in guaging lean (at least near the edges of the tire)? I realise that chosing a good includes using the least amount of lean angle possable, but we all love big lean

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I have no idea what you are trying to say.........

"... I realise that chosing a good includes using the least amount of lean angle possable"

Either you've had a few drinks, or you need to 'get hooked on phonics'.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i think a good line is the line that allows you to go the fastest through the corner, which equates to one that is the shallowest lean. But that doesn't equal the bike being up right. It means your using all your lean yet still keeping significant speed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you gimpsta.
Think of it this way; the first step to discovering you can go through the corner faster at max lean, is to find a way though it at the same speed using less lean.
Make sense?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
To go the absolute fastest you can go through a corner, you obviously need the fastest line. But this doesn't necessarily mean you won't be leaned over as much. On a long sweeper, you may not be leaned all the way over, but on a tighter curve you will need the best line combined with speed and the resulting max lean to go as fast as you can go...

But that's on the track. The street is a different world and it's all about having fun and staying alive. Don't be ashamed of a small chicken strip if all of your riding is done on the street.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, maybe im not explaining it well..
Imagine your going through a long sweeper at 161 (whatever your bike tops out at). Would you want to use the least amount of lean angle that would get you through the turn quickly, or a bit more just because its left over?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Imagine your going through a long sweeper at 161 (whatever your bike tops out at). Would you want to use the least amount of lean angle that would get you through the turn quickly, or a bit more just because its left over?
Choosing the right line simply means choosing the path that producess the smallest radius.

Radius = Speed .

Leaning off of the bike allows one to acheive the same turning radius with less lean angle.

Less lean angle = more available acceleration - braking - traction

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
haha

reading this makes me want to re-phrase it

Fastest Line: That which you use your max lean no matter what. Yet remember you can only use so much of your throttle. So instead of lean, radius, throttle - best line is the one that gets you out the fastest and gets you set up for the next corner. You can haul through a corner and be screwed on the next one.

Do remember, more angle at one point = smaller contact patch and less useable amount of throttle at one time. So now you think about hanging your body way off and pushing on your outside foot trying to keep the bike up some, and yet pulling it around the corner.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well at 161, you wouldn't want to be scraping your knee. That would definately be a sweeper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.