Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i check my throttle position sensor to see if it's bad. I'm thinking it's just a resistor, right. Check it with a ohm meter?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the sensor was totoaly bad you would get an FI light flashing. I have seen them go bad without setting off the FI light though. I'm not sure but I think the resitance should be something like 6 ohms at WOT and .5 ohms when closed. Also check that the resistance returnse to the closed setting almost instantly. By buddies bike 02 1K had a "lazy" TPS sensor that would take about 3-5 seconds for the resistance to return to the closed spec after the throttle was closed. The bike would stall becauce the ECM thought that the throttle bodies were still WOT and the injectors would flood out the idling engine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think there is also a voltage test. I wish I was at work so I could just copy all the information out of the manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. The syptoms your buddy was having are the same syptoms i'm having. If i pop the throttle it dies, it's running very rich and my plugs foul almost instantly. I've downloaded a service manual and plan to troubleshoot my next off day. I'm thinking it's either a TPS or the air temp sensor. Thanks again!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts