Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So l thought putting on my Puig DB screen would be cake - not so much. When I took out the screws that mount the screen to the upper fairing I didnt pay attention to the fact that there were 2 different sizes or which goes where. When I did switch the rubber housings with the nuts over I made sure to puts them in the corresponding holes in the new screen. Putting the screws back I noticed that there were 2 longer than the other 2 and since it was hard ot line up the lower 2 screws I used the longer ones down there. I thought I had everything set up and went to tighten the screws down but the lower screw on the right side (facing the bike) was going in on an angle, I figured it would tighten straight and cranked down on the cheap a$$ plastic screw. needless to say it snapped. I ordered the screw from the dealership, but can anyone tell me if i was right putting the longer 2 screws in the lower holes and give me any tips on how to do it next time so i dont break anything else?!?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's been awhile since I changed my screen.....a little less than a year to be exact....but I think the long screws were used to hold down the mirrors.....I might be wrong but I think that's where they go. Maybe someone who has done this recently will let you know for sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I changed my scren recently and I don't recall the four screws for the screen being of different lengths (if they were I took no notice!). Given that the screen and fairing is of the same thickness at the top and the bottom it seems strange that they should be different? Sorry I can't be more helpful!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
You're right, there are longer ones. The longer ones do go at the bottom. As for tips....just take your time, make sure the holes are lined up and if you see one going in crooked or cross-threaded....back it out and start it over. I wouldn't crank down too tight on them either. Tighten then, but not too tight.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeah i snapped my bottom screw on the puig screen. I was like "wait screws are supposed to snap?" I had barely torqued it, anyways i have yet to get a new screw for the bottom hole.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just put on the Puig DB last week and ran into the same problem. The longer screws are definitely for the two lower holes, not the mirrors. Good luck.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
sorry i actually changed mine twice now, because i have to different uppers i switch too. and i've never even notice it
don't forget the screws are plastic, so don't try and muscle it to death. Its all part of that weight saving they keep doing every year. why have metal when you can do plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts