Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just bought this 00 600 i'd like to do a tune up on it being that it has 32k miles, basics change plugs, wires, oil, ect
so what is involved in changeing the sparkplugs? what kind do you guys run and at what gap? any input is appriciated

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
you don't need iridium spark plugs for you bike. as long as you get good ones like the manual recommends... either denso or NGK plugs, you'll have no problems at all. they are pre-gapped too. I don't know of any plugs that are not.

·
Premium Member
26,407 Posts
NGK Iridiums are just as good as Denso's and half the price. I just picked up a set for $6.95 a plug at a local parts store.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, bare with me im totally new to the bike scene are the plugs down the center of the valve covor or are they on the side of the head? do i need to pull the tank off to get to them?

·
Big Willow FTW
3,771 Posts
there in the center of the valve cover. you need to remove the air filter box to get to them. its very easy. also you dont have to do anything with the fuel lines. just lift the tank and pull the air box off and there u go.

brent

·
Registered
951 Posts
It iridium plugs will have nothing to do with throttle response over the regular plugs......unless you are replacing wasted plugs.

They just require a little less juice and stay cleaner.....equalling easier startups over time.

I use them to aid in the cold starts, and that they did.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have actually put iridum tip spark plugs in my bike and it ran stronger than the regular NGK plugs. My original plugs were not fouled or anything the iridum tips do make a difference.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ngk iridium is the way to go. if you've got a pep boys in your neighborhood, get them there. they'll run you over 1/2 the price a dealership would charge you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have about 8k on my 03 750, should I change the plugs yet or is it not really necessary???

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the replys guys. you've been a great help. one more thing, i heard somewhere that on the gsxr's i assume on all R bikes that its recomended to replace the pistons and rings after 30k and 20k if raced? anybody hear about this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
the difference from one plug to another
AS LONG AS BOTH PLUGS ARE EQUALLY GAPPED AND IN THE SAME STATE, will be almost non existing.
most of the wonderplugs are BS,
( three /four electrodes, halo electrode etc)

thought i can believe that iridium plugs can be better when the engine is cold, but i do not believe that they are any better than the recommended plugs at operating temp.

i have never heard about an independent plug test that
comfirmed the added hp claims on the pack of these things.
$0.02

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
No-one told the guy the part # for the plugs!? Why not? Look under your seat there should be a rod. Use the rod to support the tank like a car hood. You will have to remove one or two air line connected to the air box. Take the box out and if you still have the tools that came with the bike, there is a socket for the removal/install of plugs. When you get your plugs as a good mechanic said always check the gap. You never know what may have happened during shipping. install with the tool by hand and hand tighten, then give them about 1/4 turn. Reinstall everything in reverse order...you will be amazed @ the time it will take you. You'll be faster the next time. You will kick yourself if you think about giving money away for this simple task.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If no-one post the part # for the NGK iridiums or the regular NGK's, just take one out and bring it to where you r going to buy from and they can cross reference it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts