Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ever change out the fork oil? If so how often?

Just curious. I have never. But will be doing it soon I think.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I change it every time I blow a fork seal, which is usually around once a year. You will be shocked how nasty the fluid is when you dump it. Excess bearing material in the oil means you should consider changing the bushings.

It gets about the same attention as auto tranny fluid in cars, nobody ever changes it until there is a problem.

Front brake fluid should be changed often as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I change it every time I blow a fork seal, which is usually around once a year. You will be shocked how nasty the fluid is when you dump it. Excess bearing material in the oil means you should consider changing the bushings.

It gets about the same attention as auto tranny fluid in cars, nobody ever changes it until there is a problem.

Front brake fluid should be changed often as well.
Why do you blow so many seals? Wheelies?

Very true on fork oil and front brakes. I rarely hear anyone changing them

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why do you blow so many seals? Wheelies
Yeah, missing gears can be hard on them. Our roads are shit around here as well. I should probably have more spring, but it is not worth the tradeoff in ride quality to me. My experience is also with conventional forks on older sportbikes.

Haven't had any issues with the new bike in 6K. Maybe the BPF has better seals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Swap brake fluid annually, the difference will surprise you. Change the oil in your forks once and you will make it an annual thing as well, feels so good with fresh oil. we have long winters here in Canada so full fluid changes keep me tinkering in the garage while the snow flies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts