Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my '05 G1K last weekend, so now I'm shopping for something to replace the stock muffler. I'm not too worried about whether it's a full system or just a slip-on, as it's just for looks. I expect to buy a full system later, when I start racing the bike.

My understanding is that if I remove the exhaust valve, I will get an FI light on the dash. So, are there any slip-ons (or full systems) that retain the exhaust valve? I am specifically looking for something that also keeps the passenger footpegs. Preferably in titanium. And quiet.

I looked at the Yosh and TBR slip-ons on their websites and didn't see anything that says one way or another if those slip-ons retain the exhaust valve or not.

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
no, you can go full exhaust, remove the SET valve and not have a FI light, just need to cut a wire

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gathered that. But if I don't want to cut any wires (at least for now), is there any pipe (slip-on or otherwise) that retains the exhaust valve, so I don't have to cut a wire and also don't have the FI light on?

Spanks.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
you don't even have to cut the wire, you can just pull the wire from the plug. i did it on mine, 100% reversable with no cutting

·
Registered
14 Posts
You dont need to cut it. Just push the white buttons from one side to release the wires and pull the Br/B wire. Be careful so that all the other wires dont come out with it.
If you want it to be permenant, cut the wire and leave the plug in the hole so you wont get moisture and such in the connector.

·
Super Moderator
17,380 Posts
I gathered that. But if I don't want to cut any wires (at least for now), is there any pipe (slip-on or otherwise) that retains the exhaust valve, so I don't have to cut a wire and also don't have the FI light on?

Spanks.
Just get a bolt on pipe for now.
4 bolts off, new pipe, bolts back on, done
You don't need to mess with the SET at all.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts

Spanks.
Isn't the valve actually in the exhaust can on the new 1k? (I thought I read that here.)

·
Registered
171 Posts

Spanks.
Isn't the valve actually in the exhaust can on the new 1k? (I thought I read that here.)
Yup, the SET valve is located in the muffler on K5, so no more bolt-ons here. If you´re about to change the can, you´ll have to give up the SET too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts