Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, lets make this good so it can go in the FAQ.

I'm changing the engine coolant in my 98 GSXR750.
Do I drain just the radiator, or is there a drain plug on the engine block too? Also, when refilling it, I fill up the radiator, then run the bike til the thermostat opens, and then fill it up the rest of the way, right?

Thanks

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Jon T. Flesh ]</p>

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
drain it all my disconnecting at the bottom of the water pump, left side just in front of the engine sprocket

drain the overfill bottle (left side).

run DISTILLED water thru it, twice.

fill up radiator with the 50/50 or whatever combo of coolant/water u wanna use

run the motor until its warm. top off the overfill bottle

I'm drunk

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Damn, i did this 4 or 5 mths ago, and ive forgotten most of it

Make sure the bike is cold. [Not essential, but if u want to work on a hot engine, that's up to u
]

Remove radiator cap.[This may require removing parts of the side/front fairing and the air duct. U dont have to, it's just easier.]

As above, unplug the big fat pipe from the water pump on the LHS of the bike. PLace bucket in position and let it drain, or let it flow into the garden drain.

Unplug the little hose at the bottom of the overflow container [LHS, just below idle adjuster], and let it drain.

Get your garden hose, and stick it in the radiator, where the cap is. Flush out the radiator, and u'll see green water/coolant mix come out of the hoses [or orange, or whatever]. Then connect the fat hose and the little hose, and fill the system up with water from the garden hose.

U may flush and fill the overfill container as well.

Replace cap and start engine.
Let it run for a few mins, so it circulates.

Remove radiator cap [use gloves if it's hot], and remove the fat hose and little hose to drain.

Repeat flushing again, and again.

I did it 3 times, since u only do this once every 2 yrs.

After multiple flushings, reconnect the 2 hoses and fill the system with 50/50 or whatever ratio of coolant and DISTILL WATER.

Tighten radiator cap, start the engine.

Top up the radiator and overfill container.

KaTz

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: KaTz ]

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
I changed my coolant today. The instructions helped.

I have another question though. The small hose on the right side of the radiator when into the oil filter mount, and then out again to just below the coutershaft sprocket. Does the radiator have another section to act as an oil cooler?

Also, someone should throw this in the FAQ, please.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
the oil filter mount on your bike is the liquid cooled oil cooler.....both coolant and oil circulate through it (they don't mix, obviously) so the oil gets cooled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts