Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain snapped while riding and put a hole in engine lower case. I've been reading up and some say weld will fix it and others say that it is only a temporary fix and to buy a used engine. So what do you recommend considering that its difficult to find used engine

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Rim Automotive exterior
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Bumper Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Welding is a good option. You need to get advice from welder / machine shop.
There is damage to water pump housing, This will have to be carefully machined back into shape.
The front sprocket shows serious wear / damage, well past used by date.
Good luck.

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,293 Posts
What year and size? That looks like some serious damage. You're probably going to have to completely disassemble the engine to attempt a repair. Someone with some excellent welding and machining skills will be required. I vote for replacing the engine, difficult though that may be. Maybe you could find a used crankcase but get the whole crankcase, not just one section, and be sure that it's not another broken one.

· Registered
128 Posts
Can't see this being cost effective to repair, even if you can do the work yourself. In the U.S. engine swap would be the way to go.

Otherwise I'd part out the bike and buy another one.

· Registered
3,682 Posts
Engine swap is easiest. Welding can be done but where did all the little broken pieces go? Engine is coming out one way or another. Judging by the sprocket the current motor probably wasn't loved anyway so a replacement is recommended.

Reactions: SparkyMJ

· Registered
GSX-R750
523 Posts
+1 That's a nice spare parts engine you got there. Find another motor IMO.

You're also lucky the chain didn't snap and cut up your leg or foot, or make you lock the rear and crash. Chain is one of those things you need to clean and inspect often.

-Mike

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What year and size? That looks like some serious damage. You're probably going to have to completely disassemble the engine to attempt a repair. Someone with some excellent welding and machining skills will be required. I vote for replacing the engine, difficult though that may be. Maybe you could find a used crankcase but get the whole crankcase, not just one section, and be sure that it's not another broken one.
Dear the motorbike is 2012 750cc. Correct the mechanic shop already disassemble the engine and he is waiting my green go signal. The mechanic will give me warranty on fixing and he told me he will use aluminium welding. And to be honest I will sell.the bike after such incident. I will check for the new crankcase ho
Welcome to the forum.
Welding is a good option. You need to get advice from welder / machine shop.
There is damage to water pump housing, This will have to be carefully machined back into shape.
The front sprocket shows serious wear / damage, well past used by date.
Good luck.
Thanks a lot for the advice appreciated
pefully this will be better option
Can't see this being cost effective to repair, even if you can do the work yourself. In the U.S. engine swap would be the way to go.

Otherwise I'd part out the bike and buy another one.
Dear I am in UAE which is almost impossible to find another engine so my cheapest solution is to takeout the engine and do aluminium welding. It will cost about 500 usd. And to be honest I will sell the bike after fixing
where are those broken off pieces now?
I open the engine and collect/clean all internal part.

· You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
11,293 Posts
Your mechanic works fast. I was expecting that to be two weeks or more. Perhaps your "isolation" in the UAE results in such services being more readily available. I'm guessing that the beat up boss beneath the weld is where the water pump fits. Is it bent or otherwise damaged such that the pump can't be inserted? I would have preferred a more complete disassembly. Are there any chunks in the oil strainer screen? A new chain and sprockets, front and rear, are needed. But beyond that you need to lube it religiously, like every other tank of gas, and routinely check the chain for stretch and slack. See the service manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts