Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everytime I go thru tech inspection they say my chain is too tight. It's usually around the max Suzuki recommended slack (I think around 1.25").

What do you guys run at the track?

My bike is a street and track bike. This year I did about 10 track days, so it does see quite a bit of track use.

·
Not the powers that be, not even close.
23,092 Posts
I set it to just barely touch the plastic guard on the bottom of the swingarm.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I ran between 1.5"-2.0" of free chain slack on all my race bikes. 1.25" is too tight for sure.

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
I ran between 1.5"-2.0" of free chain slack on all my race bikes. 1.25" is too tight for sure.
:stupid

When working tech inspection at track days, there are always bikes being denied because of the chain too tight.

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,058 Posts
are you guys measuring your slack with the bike loaded (ie you on it) or unloaded (no one sitting on the bike and no balast)?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Unloaded

·
NYYYYYAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
2,058 Posts
thanks mate, that's how i measure mine, however one of my mates measures his loaded....

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Honestly I don't measure mine. I just make sure it's smiling at me. There's a guy named Greg who once said to me a smiling chain is a happy chain. It should have enough slack to do that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Honestly I don't measure mine. I just make sure it's smiling at me. There's a guy named Greg who once said to me a smiling chain is a happy chain. It should have enough slack to do that.
should the chain be smiling like this :_rolleyes2: this :biggrin2 or :biggrin ??

lol i never heard the smiling chain motto

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
This is bad advice, don't do this.

Always measure chain slack.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
It's good advice, as long as you have a lick of sense. If you see the bottom of the chain, and it's straight as a yardstick, it's no good. There should be a visible drop to it in the middle. Measuring it is good, but the factory specs are usually just 1/4" or more too tight. Also, when you're measuring it to those factory specs, the end result can vary widely. One factor is how hard you push or pull it during the measurement. Another is that when tightening the axle, it can change the amount of slack by a bunch. Just touching the swingarm when you push it up with a medium firm force is about right.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
This is bad advice, don't do this.

Always measure chain slack.
I can see why you would say that but the assumption is that people know enough to not have it loose enough to be problematic. I have never been turned away at tech over chain tension so it's workin for me.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
You know what happens when you assume, right? I have failed people at tech for both tight and loose chains.

Why wouldn't you measure it? It takes 5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Well I concede that you are correct. Making an assumption especially on a public forum is a bad idea.

And you are also right that measuring doesn't take any time really, but in my case I have been doing this long enough to know what's acceptable without holding up a tape or a ruler.

I forget that other people don't have the same level of experience.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
I can see why you would say that but the assumption is that people know enough to not have it loose enough to be problematic.
Common sense is not common. I've turned people away at tech for even dumber things - like not having a drop of fluid in the rear brake system or having spike bolts all over :facepalm

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
"What do you guys run at the track?"

Just bear in mind that if you have wound on a fair bit of rear preload or have jacked up the rear end; then you will probably have increased the swing arm angle and will need a little more slack than standard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts