Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys just looking for recommendation, the manual says you can lubricate the drive chain with high viscosity oil, l have a bottle with 140 grade gear oil l used in my old truck, ls that going to hurt the x-rings or is it good to go?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,756 Posts
I think that you'll be OK. Suzuki likes to say:

Lubricate the drive chain with a heavy weight motor oil. Wipe off any excess oil or chain lubricant. Do not use any oil sold commercially as “drive chain oil”. Such oil can damage the O-rings.

I've never understood what "drive chain oil" is but gather it's something else.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think that you'll be OK. Suzuki likes to say:

Lubricate the drive chain with a heavy weight motor oil. Wipe off any excess oil or chain lubricant. Do not use any oil sold commercially as “drive chain oil”. Such oil can damage the O-rings.

I've never understood what "drive chain oil" is but gather it's something else.
Thick tacky stuff usually sprays out of a can.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I thought we beat this horse to death? Are there any new products on the market? I wouldn’t use heavy oil because it can fling off and make a mess. Otherwise, it should be fine. Try Bel Ray spray chain lube. I’ve tried a bunch of different products and have stayed with Bel Ray because it doesn’t get all over everything. Regular cleaning and re-lubing is the most important whatever way you go.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,756 Posts
"Thick tacky stuff usually sprays out of a can."
That's not enough. I use Motul Factory Line lube. It sprays out of a can and is thick and tacky after drying. But it doesn't damage the O-rings. In fact Motul says that it protects them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well l tried the oil, applied a reasonable amount and wiped off the excess. Just went for a test ride at no more than 60-70 mph.

Even it's a sticky super thickkkkk 140 grade oil, the mtrfckr spilled all over the left side of my rear wheel. l guess l'll try something else.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't know why bike manufacturers recommend gear oil. Maybe because its readily available everywhere. Not only does it make a mess but oil on tires = bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys just looking for recommendation, the manual says you can lubricate the drive chain with high viscosity oil, l have a bottle with 140 grade gear oil l used in my old truck, ls that going to hurt the x-rings or is it good to go?
Don't use oil. It makes a mess and gets on the rim and tire. I have used a product recommended on this site. It was Dupont chain lube with teflon. It worked OK but was still a bit messy. My chain lube routine is to ride enough to warm the chain up. Throw a stand under the rear. Start up the bike and put in in 2nd gear. I then spray Maxima chain wax on both left and right inside sides of the chain as it passes by. I use the spray tube that comes with the chain wax. That way you stay at a safe distance because you don't want your body parts getting mixed up in a moving chain. After lubing I park the bike and let the wax set up overnight. The Maxima chain wax is very clean and almost none of it flings off onto the rim and tire. I lube my chain at 300 - 500 mile intervals. Once a year I will spray the chain down with WD-40 until the chain is wet and dripping. Then I take an old rag and wipe off the WD-40 and grime. If your chain is very dirty you may need to do this twice. I then let the chain dry out before lubing with chain wax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts