Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gear oil... trust me I've tried them all (waxes, chain lubes, etc). As far as actually keeping the chain clean and lubricated (the original goal), you won't find anything better. It's a little messy to apply and you really should let it sit and drip overnight, but it pays off in your chain lasting twice as long. I've been through quite a few, and went from replacing chains every 12-15k miles, to now replacing them every 30k miles and having virtually no amount of stretch in that time either.

90W gear oil and a little oil squirt can... works wonders! Not sure about the Suzukis but it's also what's factory recommended in my owners and service manuals

·
Registered
129 Posts
The #1 enemy of a chain is water. When water gets past the o-rings, it causes rust on the inside of the pins and rollers in your chain, and you get those nasty kinked sections.

The gear oil idea does work, but it is pretty messy. The big problem with oil and chain wax is that dirt sticks to them and keeps building up. If you have white wheels I cannot imagine how dirty the rear wheel would look using gear oil on your chain.

The two priorities in lubing / maintaining with a chain are:

1. Keeping water out
2. Using an external lubricant that dirt does not readily stick to.

A growing # of riders in my area (including myself) are doing the following with great mileage and longevity results. This method requires the use of two cheap and very readily available products. WD-40 and DuPont teflon spray.

Do the following with the engine off, bike in neutral on centre stand.

WD-40 is o-ring safe and actually recommended by several chain manufacturers as a cleaning aid. WD-40 is an excellent solvent and as it's name implies (WD= Water Displacement) it displaces, or drives water out of the chain, preventing rust.

Spray the chain with WD-40 (wet but not dripping / sopping). Wipe with a rag until dry, try to work the rag in between the link plates as well. The first cleaning you may have to use a toothbrush and WD-40 very liberally if the chain is really dirty.

After drying the WD-40 as best you can in a reasonable amount of time, spray the DuPont teflon spray on your chain. Take care to not get it on your tire. This method gives very little (if any) fling so it's easy to clean up after.

The two best chain lubes our local riders have found are DuPont teflon spray and another brand I can't remember that is a molybdenum spray. Road grime and dirt will not readily stick to teflon or molybdenum.

good luck everyone

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try ELF Moto Chain lube! I have found it to be better than anything on the market. It goes on easly and drys quickly. I will not use any this else. elfmoto.us.com

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
Big +1 on everything you said, especially this:

The big problem with oil and chain wax is that dirt sticks to them and keeps building up.
Chain Wax is not all it's cracked up to be. The dirt and crap that is attracted to the O-Rings will grind 'em down in a big hurry. Plus, over time, the wax builds up in the crevices of your front sprocket area and makes a huge mess.

Nasty crap, that.

I clean with kerosene and lube with silicone spray. Works so far.

I do take a slight bit of issue with a claim that anything will make a chain last "twice as long" but I haven't tried your method.

Yet.

I'll get to it!

--Wag--

·
Registered
50 Posts
Big +1 on everything you said, especially this:

Chain Wax is not all it's cracked up to be. The dirt and crap that is attracted to the O-Rings will grind 'em down in a big hurry. Plus, over time, the wax builds up in the crevices of your front sprocket area and makes a huge mess.

Nasty crap, that.

I clean with kerosene and lube with silicone spray. Works so far.

I do take a slight bit of issue with a claim that anything will make a chain last "twice as long" but I haven't tried your method.

Yet.

I'll get to it!

--Wag--
I've replaced the chain & sprockets on my bike 11 times in 176,600 miles.... I saw a steady consistent pattern of wear vs mileage, and it stayed in that exact small range up until I switched to the gear oil, then a completely new pattern developed. I've been getting literally twice the mileage.

And believe it or not, people think the gear oil makes road grime stick to it but it doesn't... chain stays extremely clean, way better than any other lube I've used.

I know everybody's got their favorites and whatnot, and y'all don't have to believe me, I'm just sayin... I've got a bit of real world experience on the matter as I've put a few miles on my bike and know what works and what doesn't. Plus it is what's recommended in the service manual, after all

·
Registered
533 Posts
i been using kerosene and pj1 blue. just cuz thats what motomummy sed do, and thats where i got my chain kit from.

ive heard that the wd40 leaves a "oily residue" that allows the lube to not bond so well to the chain as if it were bare metal/o-rings. not sure if there is truth behind this.

but i have used wd40 before and the pressure from the nozzle knocks a lot of crud off alone.

i use kerosene in a spray bottle and by the time i rotate the chain back around to where i began it starts to melt off... sooner if its a hot chain

i clean it with a dishwashing scrub brush.... or maybe its a toilet brush??? jk

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
Kerosine+Grunge Brush+Heady Duty Motor Oil= Awsome Chain:cheers
Great combo, right there!

Just don't overoil or you'll have that crap all over your plastic, your leg, your boot, the car behind you, etc. :D

--Wag--

1 - 11 of 11 Posts