Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stock chain length (# links) for an 86 1100. I'm swapping chain and sprockets but the new chain is way too long.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I don't have the book/info for the `86 ...however... I never bother counting the links when I install a chain anyway... the info is only useful for *purchasing* the chain so I make sure to get enough to start with. Just run the adjuster all the way in to the front of the bike and then lay the chain in place and mark where to break it. The `89 1100 used a 114 link chain according to the book.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
114 links.....if it's a masterlink chain you've got that's too long, why not just cut the chain down to the size you want?

[ 04-12-2002, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jeff:
114 links.....if it's a masterlink chain you've got that's too long, why not just cut the chain down to the size you want?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, sounds simple in theory - but wait till you hear how I've "overthunk" it...

I've got the bike up in the air on a stand so the rear wheel is at full sag. I know that the tension on the chain changes slightly as the rear suspension moves up and down. I'm worried (it is my virgin chain breaking experience after all) that when I set the bike back down it'll be too tight when the suspension settles.

I guess what I'll do is adjust the tensioner to almost full in, then make the chain that size.

Now then, without a chain tool, what is the easiest way to remove a link - grind off the pin on one side?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts