Anyone else have this problem?

I guess the clearance was OK on the original
non-stick Michelin (M58X??) but modern 180's
are wider than old ones.

Roger.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I have 1/8in of clearance with no problem. The chain should not be "flopping about" if it is adjusted properly.
Bones

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree with Bones. I have a 5.5 rim and 190 tire I have very little clearance but the chain does not hit the tire.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Yosh:
I agree with Bones. I have a 5.5 rim and 190 tire I have very little clearance but the chain does not hit the tire.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree if you are flapping a 1/4 inch side to side, you need an adjustment bad.

Yosh, I have a 92 and I was thinking of going with a 190 tire, but I though that mught be too close. I'm glad to here it worked on your bike! I'm not familiar with the swingarm on the 80's Bikes... Will it line up the same on a 92'?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Is the chain doing the flopping or is it simply tire deflection when going around corners??

I'm running 6" PM on the back, so have historically used 190 Metzelers with no problem. However I'm getting rub with my latest Michelin Pilot sports in 190. Fucking '190' is just a nominal figure, like a '12 volt' battery. Turns out my 190 MetZeler was 189, while the 190 Michelin is actually 198!!

Sooo, I shoulda known better, given that I get the fitment catalogs from the various manufacturers each year...my doh. Just thought I'd pass it along in case, as with mine the chain and sprockets are adjusted/plumb.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don’t know about the 92 swing arm but I think I will be doing that conversion about February / March time frame, so if you haven’t done it by then I’ll let you know. Remember all 190's are not the same size, mine is a Metz mez1. All and all it looks sweet and if that is what you want then do it but from a performance standpoint the tire is not matched with the front and I would not recommend it. I don’t ride on the street anymore so my next set will be slicks, not bigger then 180.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so my chain and sprockets are partially worn.

Can you guys with "very little clearance but the
chain doesn't touch the tire" confirm a couple of
things:

1. There is no polished line on the tire edge.
2. You can't make the bottom chain run touch the
tire if you push the chain lightly to one side.

Offset sprockets?

Roger.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by Roger Collier:
OK, so my chain and sprockets are partially worn.

Can you guys with "very little clearance but the
chain doesn't touch the tire" confirm a couple of
things:

1. There is no polished line on the tire edge.
2. You can't make the bottom chain run touch the
tire if you push the chain lightly to one side.

Offset sprockets?

Roger.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">With the MEZ1 190, close but no touch, so 1 - no and 2 - no.

Offset sprockets are available fairly readily from most of the drag suppliers. Check out Orient Express in the Sponsors section. Probably be less hassle in the long run to find a narrower 'nominal' tire...groan!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes I can easily touch the chain to the edge of the tire while sitting there but there is no rub marks on the side of the tire from the chain. Under load the chain pulls straight. and the bottom must return straight. An offset sprocket would not (on by bike) be aligned with the front sprocket. I used a mix of 85/91 bushings and spacers I don't remember witch ones. I do remember milling down a sprocket to just the mounting holes and installing it on the caliper side under the brake disk so the 85 caliper won't hit the rim spokes, and did make some room for the brake stay which did not need any modifications.

·
3,482 Posts
Hey bcjohn, or anyone. I'm putting a 6" with a 180/55 on my 88/1100. If you don't recommend the Metz, and the Mich would be too fat, what would you recommend? I'll need to go with the thinest 180 I can get for it to work.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I'm NOT an Avon fan, but their actual sizes tend to be the narrowest when compared to other makes. I personally think the Pilots are great, but will go to a 180/55 rather than the 190 when I wear it out....needless to say, their 180 is phat

I've got nothing against the Metzelers, just wanted a change...so if they fit, go for it. Phone up the distributors, they'll be glad to send you out their fitment data.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Ragnar:
Hey bcjohn, or anyone. I'm putting a 6" with a 180/55 on my 88/1100. If you don't recommend the Metz, and the Mich would be too fat, what would you recommend? I'll need to go with the thinest 180 I can get for it to work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am doing the 6" swap on mine too... I have a Pirelli Dragon EVO on my 5.5" wheel now...it is narrower when mounted than the 180 D207 I had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts