Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know I might sound dumb but im no mechanic
. I've had to buy a new chain after too many wheelies has made me stretch the old one
. Ive heard that you have to remove the swinging arm to get the old chain off. If this is the case then how difficult is the job to do. Ive worked on motorcross bikes before but nothing like this, a friend of mine has offered to help.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
no no no you dont take the swing arm off
the old chain is either broken using a special tool -chain breaker or most people use a dremel to cut through a link
you then link the old chain to the new one while its still on the bike and thread it through using the old chain (saves the hassle of removing the front sprocket cover)
do a search you'll find loads of how to's better than i can explain
or ak dan uk he'll pop round and fit it for you j/k

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It is just like your dirtbike... You cut the chain and put the new one on. I would not use a chain breaker on the old chain.. They tend to break the tool..

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I dont mean to sound stupid but I was told the chain was a solid loop and if thats the case how the hell can I fit it unless I move the swingarm. Again sorry if I sound like a twat but I have never done this before

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
The chain that is on your is a solid loop... And because you will close the loop on the new after you put it on, it would then be a closed loop as well...

Have you ever changed a chain on your dirtbike??

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No mate I havent. I cant get my head round how it goes rond without breaking the loop I must just be dumb

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent recieved the chain yet do you get it as an unbroken cahin or does it come as a loop

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by Liam21:
I havent recieved the chain yet do you get it as an unbroken cahin or does it come as a loop
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OIC.. Now I understand why you dont get it yet.. lol

Yes the new chain will come in one long piece... Then you run it around the front sprocket and lay it on the rear, line it up so you know how long to make it. Then you have to cut the extra off and use the master link to "join" the two ends... it is now a closed loop..

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
There is a few tools that will make the job less work.. but if you have a c-clamp you can get it on there... I think the press is like 15 bucks..

John

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
some of the best cash you can spend is to buy a manual (haynes are top dogs) it'll pay for itself in no time
ride safe

its easier to work on other peoples advice if you have the overview of a manual and you can check what they tell you
its good to ask cos there are tricks of the trade that a manual wont tell you but experienced people will (usually john or jeff) like the use of gasket maker that the manual advises

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol. Just got the chain. Fuck me ive been worriying about that all day.lol. Thanks anyway

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You can get the OEM ones for 30 bucks and they are better then the 3rd party ones.

John

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
he's in the uk,they are'nt that cheap over here,nothing is cheap over here
(except the advice)

[ 08-16-2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: GIXXERUK ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I think that guy will ship to the UK it just costs a bit more for shipping..

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
you can also spend 30 bucks and get a master link and riveting tool. That's a little stronger. But master links with the clips suffice fine too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry but I disagree no way is a masterlink/split link with a clip up to the job.

Using a 'softlink' is the only safe way of linking the chain a few people have had chain links fail, it is scary and very expensive.

You have to peen the soft link heads over with a tool or with a friends help a heavy lump of metal (pressed by your friend onto the other side of the chain link) and a hammer and punch. The soft link will look like a rivet head when you have finished, spreadout with a round head ( the diameter of the pin is now thicker and does not allow the side plates to come back off.

cheers
Sean (Oxford)

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well there is a lot of talk about the clip links and the rivit links... Well... I have been using the clip links for like 29K miles and they have never failed me... I have also been using them on my dirtbikes for years... I have never had one come off... Most of the ones I have come off are from people not putting them on correct...

All and all when done right they are both very good ways.... and just as a FYI I have seen a rivit link come off too..

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts