Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the tech forum but didn't receive any responses. Adjusting my chain on other bikes has always been straight forward, but I'm a little confused....

I loosened the locknuts, loosened the axle nut and adjusted the chain to where I wanted it. Tightened up the axle nut to the 72.5 ft./lbs. of torque as reccomended and then went to tighten the lock nuts on the adjusting bolts. Here's my problem. The right side lock nut tightened up no problem. The left side (axle nut side) does not tighten- when I tighten the nut, even holding the adjustment bolt with another wrench, it tightens the chain again. How in the heck is that possible? I barely have to turn it and it tightens the chain- even with the axle nut tight.

Is this normal? Is the lock nut not supposed to tighten down?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Make sure after you adjust the chain you bump the rear wheel forward to assure the adjustment blocks are sitting on the adjustment screws.

Also when you tighten the LOCK nut, be sure to hold the adjustment screw head with another wrench or it will move slightly, despite the axel nut being torqued.

Chain tightening is a two wrench operation unless you have gilles adjusters :cheers

·
Registered
545 Posts
adjust the chain to where you want it, then leave just a little bit extra slack then when you tighten everything up it should end up where you wanted it. thats what IVe always done and how I was told to do it and it has always worked for me. Im sure there are a million differnt ways to get the job done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.