Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a multi-state trip in a few months and am going to carry while on this trip.
I've already checked out each state's laws and such, so I'm good there, but I want to know how you guys carry while you ride, if you do.
Tank bag sounds like a good spot, but someone once mentioned to me that if for some reason you get separated from your bike (for whatever reason) your gun is no longer in reach.
IWB can work, but with the sitting position pants may be too tight and the gun will imprint, or just end up showing above the waistband.
The best idea IMO is a shoulder holster, that has the gun pointed down when standing, rather than back, and has a strap of some sort to hold the gun in it while leaned over riding.
What do you guys think ? What experiences do you have ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally I carry in a Crossbreed IWB holster just over my left rear pocket and it works great for me. I always wear a jacket as well so I have never had to worry about imprinting. I carry on and off the bike that way pretty much everywhere I go.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
17,011 Posts
I'm taking a multi-state trip in a few months and am going to carry while on this trip.
I've already checked out each state's laws and such, so I'm good there, but I want to know how you guys carry while you ride, if you do.
Tank bag sounds like a good spot, but someone once mentioned to me that if for some reason you get separated from your bike (for whatever reason) your gun is no longer in reach.
IWB can work, but with the sitting position pants may be too tight and the gun will imprint, or just end up showing above the waistband.
The best idea IMO is a shoulder holster, that has the gun pointed down when standing, rather than back, and has a strap of some sort to hold the gun in it while leaned over riding.
What do you guys think ? What experiences do you have ?

Personally, I do a shoulder holster.
I don't like a IWB on the bike, I don't want anyone to see my gun if my jacket rides up.

Jersey people just don't get it...:lmao

·
Banned
9,663 Posts
I see your point about the IWB. But what's the ultimate reason you wanna have the gun? Are you worried more about road rage from others while you ride or are you more concerned about safety while you're off your bike.

IWB may be tricky while riding but a shoulder rig would be a pain every time you stop riding and want to take your jacket off.

Then you have to think about a situation that hopefully doesn't happen. How secure ur weapon is in case you go down while riding and if it'll cause more injury, like keeping it at the small of your back.

I think a good option, especially if your thinking about carrying a compact or sub compact is an ankle holster, if ur boots and riding pants wouldn't get in the way. That way you'll never have to mess with it when transitioning from getting off and on the bike.

A lot of people don't like ankle rigs (me for one) as primaries and if you're wearing boots this might not even be an option.

I think the next most convenient thing is putting the gun in a pocket holster, then putting your holstered gun in a tank bag when you ride, then slipping it into your pocket when you make a stop.

I think with a shoulder rig your going to find it being a pain every time you stop and want to take ur jacket off. This isn't a Sunday cruise. Who knows how many stops you'll make.

Cheers :cheers have fun!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty good thoughts there.
I hadn't thought of taking the jacket off with a shoulder holster, and I've never liked the idea of having a gun at your ankle, so I think I'll be going with an IWB hip holster.
Just took my CCH class yesterday so I'll be applying for that tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Always been a fan of a tank bag on the street and on my dirtbike I just carry in my back pack

Never felt of a situation where I would need to get my gun while on my sportbike.

Generally it's pretty easy to get away from someone on a bike and no way in hell would you try shooting while riding so then it comes down to when you're stopped.

But anytime I go into a gas station or restaurant the tank bag comes with me so no concern there

·
Registered
433 Posts
Im curious to know what models you guys carry on a bike. I been thinking of getting a small compact 9mm for this purpose. My .40 Sigma feels like a huge cannon when its on me so I don't like trying to conceal it cause its too damn uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Im curious to know what models you guys carry on a bike. I been thinking of getting a small compact 9mm for this purpose. My .40 Sigma feels like a huge cannon when its on me so I don't like trying to conceal it cause its too damn uncomfortable.
I carry a S&W 340PD, a Ruger LCP or a Kahr PM9 if out for a stroll. If I'm riding into work, I carry my normal rig (usually an HK P30, Glock 21 or a Glock 23.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bit of an update.
I took the concealed carry class (which was a LOT of fun) and applied for my permit so now I'm just waiting.
I checked out a few guns at a local gun shop, and decided on a S&W M&P Shield .40. It's small enough to tuck away easily, but the size is perfect for my hand. It shoots very well, and just feels good to hold.
I decided to go with a regular IWB holster. I tried my dad's shoulder holster on with my motorcycle jacket and while it didn't feel weird, the issue of not being able to take off the jacket is too big for me.
In the small of the back was another one I thought of, but decided against. Regardless of where the gun is, if you crash it's going to hurt you, and I'd rather damage a hip or leg than it do something to my back or spine.

·
17,011 Posts
Bit of an update.
I took the concealed carry class (which was a LOT of fun) and applied for my permit so now I'm just waiting.
I checked out a few guns at a local gun shop, and decided on a S&W M&P Shield .40. It's small enough to tuck away easily, but the size is perfect for my hand. It shoots very well, and just feels good to hold.
I decided to go with a regular IWB holster. I tried my dad's shoulder holster on with my motorcycle jacket and while it didn't feel weird, the issue of not being able to take off the jacket is too big for me.
In the small of the back was another one I thought of, but decided against. Regardless of where the gun is, if you crash it's going to hurt you, and I'd rather damage a hip or leg than it do something to my back or spine.

Nice.
And yes, small of the back on a bike is never a good idea.
Good luck, hope you never need to use it.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
small of the back holster. good ones include galco and the usual big-name/national makes.
You should never carry in the small of your back. Cops have be paralyzed from their handcuffs or radios crushing their spine when they take a fall or slam to the back.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have yet to carry while riding, but I carry a Glock 20 at the 4/5 o'clock when I'm driving. I used to carry a big ass G17L which had a barrel just over 5" long. Because of that it makes my full size G20 feel small. I love Glock for carrying because of how smooth the slides are. No need for a conventional holster. Just a MIC and maybe a clipdraw if you feel the need and your good to go. As for a compact 9mm, check out the G43.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I FINALLY got my CCW (primarily because I wanted to carry on the bike) and I bought a Sig P938...fits great in the left-hand jacket pocket. I did a TON of research before I bought it. It was a lot more than I wanted to spend, but for what you get and compared to other pocket 9mm, it is the best for your money....I was going to get a Kahr CM9, but I decided to spend more money and get true quality.

My G19 is just too big or I would carry it.

I didn't want to go down the 380 route since I only shoot 9mm and .45 in handgun rounds...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts