Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, is a mile and a half run a day a resonable work out?

And let's say for sake of arguement, you burn 500 calories in a work out; then you eat something that's 500 calories; does that mean that your work out was pretty much pointless/cancelled out?

·
Faps to Fantasy Football, and fails at that even
10,194 Posts

And let's say for sake of arguement, you burn 500 calories in a work out; then you eat something that's 500 calories; does that mean that your work out was pretty much pointless/cancelled out?
if your goal is to lose weight...and if your not very active, then yes, running 1.5 miles will be benificial until your body adapts. As for the calories it depends on your matabolism. Some people can burn 500 cals sitting around all day where as others store it. Also, whats your diet look like??

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basically i just started running again. i know that interval training is good for burning fat and that what's i'm trying to do. my diet is pretty much eat when i can. i work 2-10 and i hate packing a lunch unless it's left over. i've been trying to cut back on sugars and shit like that, and when i drink, ususally it's jack or apple juice and diet coke.

but i'm trying to watch what i eat. i mean if eat out, like subway or something similar. but sometimes it's not that easy. any tips would be great. i figured a mile and a half a day min. and then just as time goes on, just run more.

my thing is i hate running more than anything. it's sooo fucking boring. but i have a nice tredmill that never gets used so i figured i need to start doing something. but even watching TV or listen to music doesn't do anything. i just hate running but i'm just trying to stick with it and force myself to get on the damn thing.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
basically i just started running again. i know that interval training is good for burning fat and that what's i'm trying to do. my diet is pretty much eat when i can. i work 2-10 and i hate packing a lunch unless it's left over. i've been trying to cut back on sugars and shit like that, and when i drink, ususally it's jack or apple juice and diet coke.

but i'm trying to watch what i eat. i mean if eat out, like subway or something similar. but sometimes it's not that easy. any tips would be great. i figured a mile and a half a day min. and then just as time goes on, just run more.

my thing is i hate running more than anything. it's sooo fucking boring. but i have a nice tredmill that never gets used so i figured i need to start doing something. but even watching TV or listen to music doesn't do anything. i just hate running but i'm just trying to stick with it and force myself to get on the damn thing.
i just started running too. i run one day and lift weights the next. so far i've made lots of strength gains and lost 8 pounds. i also changed the way i eat. lots of veggies and nuts. less meat and i only drink water. with juice and soda i think i drank no less than 500 calories per day, usually more. been about 3 weeks and i have great results. :dunno

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
oh yea, i find that i'll eat much better if i'm exercising regularly. but as soon as i stop exercising regularly my diet go out the door with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Best way to burn fat is to lift as well as run, in that order. When you lift it burns the energy you currently have stored from food and then when you run after it will be burning energy from stored fat. Im sure if you look online a lot of info will tell you to lift and then run.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just started running too. i run one day and lift weights the next. so far i've made lots of strength gains and lost 8 pounds. i also changed the way i eat. lots of veggies and nuts. less meat and i only drink water. with juice and soda i think i drank no less than 500 calories per day, usually more. been about 3 weeks and i have great results. :dunno
thats one of my big things is what i drink. i love grapefruit juice and there's always cranberry juice for the wife. i'm trying to stay away from pop unless i drink and i always have my 34oz of water i always take with me.

i've done a lot of reading online but i like other advice too. i just hope i can stick with it; cause today was a day that i didn't want to run but i did. it was bad. i'm one of those stupid people that wants to see results as soon as i get off the tredmill.:hammer

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
weights are a great way to drop fat. shocks your metabolism over the long haul better then cardio. It depends on your goals though. If you want to be "toned" then do circuit training type of lifting. If you're goal is to get big then when you get big enough your body will consume itself and eat it's own fat. All depends on your body type and goals.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically my goal is to lose fat; more or less my gut. I don't have access to weights right now and don't want to sign up for a membership until I know I'm going to stick with it. So I figured for now, I'll just run/interval train. If I stick with it, I'll start lifting. I just need to lose some pounds.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you wanna drop pounds quick go on an all liquid diet. I just had jaw surgery and my mouth has been wired shut for the past 3 weeks and I already lost 20 pounds. All I've been consuming is ensure, milkshakes, and soup. Guarentee you'd drop pounds but I can't see anyone doing that when they're able to eat real food. Trust me this totally sucks!!!

·
the gun show
3,186 Posts

It depends on how long it takes you to run the mile and a half. Of course, any activity you're doing that you wouldn't have done before is going to help an some way. That said...good for you for starting...but you should be doing at least 20 min. If you can't do 20 min off the bat, then run as much as you can, then walk at a fast pace for the rest of the 20-30 min.

The key is to keep your heart rate up long enough for your body to start burning fat. This normally happens after 12-15 min. The first 15 min, your body is burning the stored glucose in your system. Once the glucose is used, your body resorts to using your stored bodyfat for energy.

You should aim to keep your heart rate at 60-70% max for at least 20 min. Max heart rate can be estimated or assumed to be 220 less your age. So if you're 25 yrs old, your max heart rate is 195...60% of that is around 120. This is a good target to begin with.

·
the gun show
3,186 Posts

Your nutrition plan or diet is the most important part of changing your body composition.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Look up interval training. This type of "cardio" burns the most fat and really challenges your body. A steady XX mile run does not equate to definite fat loss or better body composition.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,391 Posts
I've always heard 30 minutes with your heart rate at about 60% maximum is optimal for carido workouts.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dozer, thanks. I run for at least 20 mins and I knock out the mile and a half probably around 14-15 mins depending on if I'm pushing myself.

Today I interval trained.

I walked for 2 mins, then ran 2 mins at 6mph.
Walked for 2 more, then ran for 2 mins at 7mph.
Walked for 2 mins, then ran for 2 mins at 8mph
Walked for 2 mins, then ran 1:30 at 9mph
Walked for 2 mins, then ran 1 min at 10 mph
Walked for 2 mins, then ran 9mph for 1 min
Then I walked it out like little Unk for a few more mins.

I'm trying to kind of up the numbers at time goes on. I was pretty beat after that. I'm trying to stick with it cause as time goes on, I think it'll get easier as far as me actually doing it. Right now, I can't stand getting on that tredmill...it's so hard to keep going.

·
i've read several times that 40 minutes is optimal for cardio.
the first 20 minutes your body is using the calories you consumed that day,
the next 20 minutes you actually tap into your fat reserves and burn off extra calories.
after that your body starts to panic and burn muscle instead of fat.

·
the gun show
3,186 Posts
I've always heard 30 minutes with your heart rate at about 60% maximum is optimal for carido workouts.
"optimal" is relative, but you're right Geek, 30 min or more is great. I was just saying that 20 min is the bare minimum to reach contosis (when your body switches over to burning fat)

Hey Dozer, thanks. I run for at least 20 mins and I knock out the mile and a half probably around 14-15 mins depending on if I'm pushing myself.

Today I interval trained.

I walked for 2 mins, then ran 2 mins at 6mph.
Walked for 2 more, then ran for 2 mins at 7mph.
Walked for 2 mins, then ran for 2 mins at 8mph
Walked for 2 mins, then ran 1:30 at 9mph
Walked for 2 mins, then ran 1 min at 10 mph
Walked for 2 mins, then ran 9mph for 1 min
Then I walked it out like little Unk for a few more mins.

I'm trying to kind of up the numbers at time goes on. I was pretty beat after that. I'm trying to stick with it cause as time goes on, I think it'll get easier as far as me actually doing it. Right now, I can't stand getting on that tredmill...it's so hard to keep going.
That looks really good especially as you've just started. You can consider skipping rope if that will help take away from your boredom on the treadmill. For example walk, run, rope for 30sec to a min...walk,run, rope etc.

Just make sure that when you're walking, you're not strolling. It should be an aggressive almost power walk.

·
Birdman
24,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's a good idea. i totoally forgot about jump roping.

yeah, when i walk it's usually around 3.3-3.6mph. keeps me moving.

now kind of what matt said i got to thinking. this week when i run, i run like 20 mins after i wake up. i drink some water, don't eat anything and then run. is that good or bad or doesn't really matter? i figured if i did it first thing in morning before i eat, it'll burn more then if i eat then run. i've read a bunch of different things concerning that too. it just seems like there no consistant answer for anything cardio. it all varys basically to what works for you and is move effective...i'm just trying to find what that is.

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
that's a good idea. i totoally forgot about jump roping.

yeah, when i walk it's usually around 3.3-3.6mph. keeps me moving.

now kind of what matt said i got to thinking. this week when i run, i run like 20 mins after i wake up. i drink some water, don't eat anything and then run. is that good or bad or doesn't really matter? i figured if i did it first thing in morning before i eat, it'll burn more then if i eat then run. i've read a bunch of different things concerning that too. it just seems like there no consistant answer for anything cardio. it all varys basically to what works for you and is move effective...i'm just trying to find what that is.
i dont exercise within AT LEAST an hour of eating. i'll be sluggish...

i always do evening exercise though :dunno

1 - 20 of 32 Posts