Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 750 with 36mm CV's, a Factory Pro Stage 3 jet kit and K&N pods, full Hindle and a +5 advancer. From 4500-7500rpm, depending on throttle position, I get a gargly-glasspackish intake noise. I have tried bigger and smaller main jets, higher and lower clip positions, stiffer slide springs and a leaner needle. Nothing seems to get rid of the noise completely. It does not bog in 2nd gear @ 4000rpm when going to WOT . It also seems to pull linearly through the needle circuit. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this and if so how do I fix it??
Please help!! I'm gonna go insane...lol

Bunny

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 91 1100 with 36 CV's was running a bit lean so I changed the needle one clip and instantly got this noise. Its a low guteral sound exactly in that RPM range. My 90 never did this. I think its probably normaly. My bike does wake up at 7k rpm exactly though and the noise stops.

Cl

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called Factory Pro today...they said it is normal. I said that's not good enough...
It sounds awful. So, I have an appointment this Friday to put her on the dyno. Gonna see what the air/fuel mixture looks like and hopefully figure something out.

Bunny

Any other input would be appreciated...thanks for the reply, azgsxr11.

·
Registered
303 Posts
bet it's related to the 91-92 shim type cams

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bet it's related to the 91-92 shim type cams
No, actually it's not, but thanks.

I put the bike on the dyno yesterday and I was kinda impressed with her.
I didn't think the numbers would be that high. It turns out there's nothing wrong with my carbs - and it's pretty normal for them to make that noise (having the full Hindle just accentuates the tone). So, long story short, the gargle just comes with it and here's the graph:

Not bad for an old bike.

Bunny

·
Registered
303 Posts
100 to the rear wheel.... niiiiiiice... guess that's around what my bike puts out....

what are you running for main and pilot jets?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like you have some jetting work to do...good baseline though
Well, I could make the graph look better, but it'd take me forever to find the 'perfect' combination. I've tried leaner, richer, whatever I could think of but she's as good as she's gonna get for now.
Went on a long ride today and I'm really happy with the performance so I'm just gonna have to live with the noise.

Bunny

·
Registered
303 Posts
what jets are you running? i have a near identical setup as you... 36cv's w/ k&n ovals and a 4 into 1 .... 132.5s for mains and 37.5s for pilots ..... which are like 5-6 turns out lol...

all this is compensating for worn out emulsion tubes... replacements should be here any day now....... so i''d like to get a baseline idea of what ur runnin' ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
looking at the graph if you were able to pull fuel around 6000rpms you would be able to gain a few hp. once it gets really rich in that area the hp graph slopes... you can fix that... but its going to take some time to do it.

good job though and glad to hear the carb noise is normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts