Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out a set of carbs on e-bay, they are off an '87 1100. According to the specs page on this site they are 34mm compared to the stock 29mm carbs that are on my '86 750. They have a stage three jet kit so I know I will have to do some re-jetting to get them to work properly. What do you more experienced users out there think about putting them on my bike, by the way I already have a D&D full exhaust on it and it only has 11,000 miles so the motor is still in good shape.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
34's are good but 36's are better. That what I use and they worked great on the that engine. How much are they asking?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I thought, 36's are the way to go but the set of 34's are at $75 right now with a buy it now of $100. I think I just may do it. It has to be alot better than the tiny 29's I've got now.

John

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am doing the exact same mod as we speak on the same bike. All my reasearch says they will work great. I also would like the 36mm's but will wait till I can afford true flatslides.
GregW

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am going the other way on my 89 750.I have the 36s on it now but am putting some 31s on it tomorrow.I am looking for a bit more bottom end and am hoping the 31s do it for me. Go to dragbike.com.36s and 38s for sale all the time. Anyone want some 40 megatrons???

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
bandit man, the 31mm cv's from the 86 750 are horrendous (if those are the 31's you were thinking of). they're very difficult to get jetted right, especially with individual filters. although on the bright side, you can probably get the 31's for very very cheap or even for free - if i had a set of these i wanted to get rid of, i'd personally feel guilty asking money for them....

trying to get substantially more bottom end from the 89 gsxr750 is pretty much an exercise in futility - these motors were designed to make power with revs.

what you can try, though, is putting in a set of early 90's katana 750 cams - that should give you a boost in the midrange at the expense of top end. fitting the stock airbox should also help a bit.

or, you could drop in a katana 1100 motor if you can find one - think a gsxr1100 motor with more midrange.....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The 36 carbs will fit on stock 86 boots. However you will have to work at it to get them on. If you can get the boots used do it. They are kinda expensive new.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jeff, I have a spare Bandit 1200 just waiting for a couple of mods to come back for the Fighter. I got the 31s on today,not quite the arm pulling surge on the top anymore but I do feel a bit of a difference on the bottom. If I could find a airbox for cheap I would do it. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on the 750 since the 1200 is almost ready

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to try for the 36's that I saw. What carb boots will I have to get to run them? I was guessing a set off a '90/'91 GSXR1100 since they came with that carb and the motor is somewhat similar to my '86 750. Thanks again.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts