Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a gixxer newbie, and I've just bought the bike of my (boyhood) dreams - a 1989 slingshot.Only problem is, the carbs have a stage 3 dynojet kit and K&N's fitted, which don't work too well.
I have the chance to buy a set of standard 38mm mikunis from a '91 model - can I fit them without too many problems ? I have also got the airbox from a '91 bike...

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
the 38mm carbs should fit on your 89 750. i don't know if it is a good idea on the short stroke engine, though.

the only thing is that the carb intake boots are a different ID on the 36mm & 38mm. some people have said that the 38's will fit (with some muscle) the 36mm boots, but i have never tried it myself. just be forewarned, the intake boots screws are probably frozen into the head. when i was installing 36mm carbs on my 86 750, i had to remove the engine and take it to a machine shop so they could drill out the intake boot screws!

you might be better off just taking your bike to a tech and have your carbs adjusted/synchronized/jetted.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Chances are that the stock carbs will work *lots* better if you just replace the needle-jets (aka: "emulsion tubes"). These particular Mikuni carbs tend to wear out the needle-jets which will cause a rich condition through the midrange (just off-idle all the way to WOT).

The 38mm carbs WILL fit in the 36mm boots, but it takes heat, lube, and a lengthy session of four-letter words. You will also need larger hose-clamps to secure the larger carbs in the 36mm boots. I have no idea if it is even possible to tune the 38mm carbs to the short-stroke engine - the 36mm carbs are difficult if not impossible to tune on the short-stroke with the airbox removed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice - I was just looking for a cheap and easy way to sort it....
The biggest problem is the carbs won't clear from mid-range onwards - they splutter and are reluctant to rev.I'm going to try fitting an aairbox and see where I go from there.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts