Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be kind of a dumb question but I have to ask it before I make myself nuts with a million phone calls to dyno jet and factory. I have a set of 36mm Mikuni's off a '98 Bandit 1200. They are 36mm with a vacuum slide just like the stockers on my '86 750 only bigger. I see from the specs. page that the 88 or 89 750 has 36mm's on it. Now for the question, if I get an individual air filter set up and a stage 3 jet kit for the 88 or 89 will I at least be close enough on the jetting so I can ride the bike and then begin tuning it? I know there is no definitive answer so I am just looking for some opinions from the guys who've been at this for a while and have some knowledge in this area. Thanks in advance.

John

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The Bandit carbs are the same style ase the 88-89 cv's but may have different internals. Make shure to order the jet kit for the carbs that you are running. If you install the airfliters, jetkit, and all then you should be able to start tuning from there.
Bones

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am doing a similar setup as we speak although I have lost interest due to modding my TII RX-7. Anyhow do a search on my username or do a search on carbs. I learned a lot from these dudes. From what I learned you should be fine with the stage 3 kit for those carbs to get you started. There is a ton of adjustment that the kit offers and once you figure out how to tune them (maybe you already do) it will be very obvious what needs to be done.
GregW

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bones,

I did some searching but got more answers to the boot end of the swap than anything else. When you said "order the jet kit for the carbs you are running" you mean order the kit for a '98 Bandit 1200, right? And then I'd probably go with the 88-89 filter kit. Thanks to both of you guys for the help, we've gotten a few nice days out here in NY and I want to get the carbs dialed in for the nice weather.

John

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone, anyone??

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Sorry I got distracted. Yes order the jet kit for the Bandit carbs and a set of K&N's for them the single type filters work better than the paired up type (one filter for two carbs) but the filters for the bandit should fit your frame. DO NOT use the cheap foam filters as they will start to come apart and you will be picking tiny pieces of foam out of your carbs. Plus the K&N's will last forever.
Bones

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Bones. I will be ordering the jets and K&N's tomorrow morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts