Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stumble between 4&5k. since the pipe was put on it has never been right. had a friend look at it the other day, he said raise the needles one, he says it is the transition from the needle jets to the main jets and raising the needle will richen it up before it transitions to the main jets. does this sound right or is he full of shit....... if that does sound right can i pull the tops off without pulling the carbs, to raise the needles. oh and by the way it was rejetted when the pipe was put on,also when you crack it open between 4&5k it just falls on its face and starts bucking, this is really pissing me off hopefully you guys can help me!

·
Registered
52 Posts
What pipe??? he is correct,you can play with the needle settings, and you dont have to remove the carbs. Raising them one should richen it out a bit, however I suspect that your problem is too rich instead of too lean, in other words, try it both ways(one up-test and one down-test)my experience has been that these bikes like it lean.
Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pipe is a v&h ss2, one more thing i didnt mention is when you decelerate it pops out the exhaust like mad (kinda like glass packs on a car) maybe this will help, let me know again if you think it is rich or lean with this new info.
also when cruising between 4&5k holding a steady speed it feels like it is surging.
THANKS FOR THE HELP

·
Registered
178 Posts
big whale, popping sounds out of the exhaust when you down shift can be a number if things. it can be that the carburators are to lean, or there is a air leak in the exhaust system somewhere. if the bike is surging at a certain speed, that is a good indication that the bike is to lean. hope this helps...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey cide thanks for the input, do you think raising the needles will help the problem or is it just a trial and error type thing, also how big of a job is it to pull the tops and raise the needles, anything i should watch out for or be aware of.
THANKS AGAIN
BIG 'OL BLUE & WHITE
WHALE

·
Registered
178 Posts
hey big whale, i believe if your bike is surging at around 4000 to 5000 rpms, i would raise the needles 1/2 to 1 notch. it is not hard to do this, and i will tell you how-

1. take off the tank

2. unsrew the two screws that hold the top cover on the carbs- be careful- pull the tops off very slowly because there is a spring under there!

3. very slowly pull the diaphram and slide out of each carburator (be sure to keep them in order) and set each one on a clean surface.

4. remove the spring from the top (they sometimes come off with the carb tops) and gently turn the slide upside down in your hand and the spring holder, a spacer, a metal washer, e-clip (on needle), and another spacer will come out. be sure to take note of the order of parts and how they were installed. (if you have your jet kit instructions, that will certainly help.

5. remove the e-clip from the needle and lower it one notch. sometimes though, all the carbs really need is for the needles to be raised or lowered about a 1/2 notch. to do this, leave the e-clip where it is, and put a little metal washer (like the one thats already on it, and slide it on the bottom side of the e-clip. this will raise the needle just a little.

6. now go in reverse order and re-install everything. (make sure that the carb spring is seated in the right place when you put the tops back on. also!!!, be sure to becarefull not to lose the little vaccuum seals (little rubber donuts that sit in between the carburator and the tops). if you lose those, your bike will not run correctly, believe me!

i hope i have not left anything out! if you have someone that can help you, use them! also, this may not help your carbs the first time! you may have to pull them off a hundred times! ask anyone, setting up carburators sucks!!!! but when you get them set up right, you will be very happy with your bike! hope this helps-

[ 06-21-2002, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: cide ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
"remove the e-clip from the needle and raise it one notch. sometimes though, all the carbs really need is for the needles to be raised about a 1/2 notch. to do this, leave the e-clip where it is, and put a little metal washer (like the one thats already on it, and slide it on the bottom side of the e-clip. this will raise the needle just a little."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry Cide I believe to raise the needles you have to movethe e-clip DOWN, it can be a bit confusing the way you described it. Just my opinion, and yes the surging does describe a lean condition. When you take the needles out check the slides/needles/emulsion tubes for wear, they wear out quickly(+-6000 km's) and make it very hard to tune.

·
Registered
178 Posts
thehun, you are correct. i was trying to get too much information in one little paragraph. to raise the needles, you must lower the e-clip 1/2 to 1 notch. sorry for the confusion!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts