Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1988 GSX-R750 a few months ago, and so far it's been giving me quite the headache. So far I've redone the brakes, master cylinder, and rear shock. I took it into the shop a few times but the carbs were still leaking and the bike was stalling when stationary. I took it to another shop and right away the mechanic said one piston isn't firing. It has new sparkplug wires and he tried a new plug but it still wouldn't fire. The carbs were taken off and opened up, there was a brown film in them along with remnants of carb glue. They're telling me I need new gaskets, o-rings, float assembly, and float needles. Will fixing up the carbs solve these problems? Are there any other possible reasons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm running out of cash to fix this thing! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
maybe some chem tool carb cleaner shot in the thing would help.
but DON'T GET IT ON THE RUBBER PIECES OF THE CARB
AGAIN SPRAYING IT ON THE RUBBER WILL DISTORT THE RUBBER

·
3,484 Posts
Maybe you could score a set of carbs in good condition off ebay or something and just throw them on. By the time you buy all the parts and pay the mechanics to sort it all out it will probably be a lot more expensive. Far as the spark goes, maybe the coil is bad, or at least the cap..... but if the mechanic was any good he should have been able to tell you that by now..........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the mechanic hasn't told me much so far. He wants to clean out and rebuild the carbs first, then look into the piston problem. The wires were replaced a year ago, we tried a new plug, and the mechanic told me that if the coil was bad 2 cylinders wouldn't be firing, not just one. Could the carbs contrinute to this problem? Could anything else cause it? Does this mechanic know what he's talking about?

·
Banned
185 Posts
Well if the other piston on that coil is fireing they both should fire unless the plug is really fouled. Are you gettinbg spark? to that plug? If so it's a fuel issue you may be clogged up in the carb. Are you up in the Silicon Valley? If so I have some carb parts that may help you out depending on the size you have and being I'm in Santa Cruz it wouldn't be too difficult to get you some things. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If by "firing" you mean that one cylinder doesn't light fuel when it's running, then yes, leaky carbs can definitely create that. If by "firing" you mean spark, then no, carbs have nothing to do with sparks.

We see bikes with carbs like this a LOT this time of year. The only way to sort it is to go through them, strip *everything* out, soak them in solvent for a few hours, and physically clean ALL of the small-parts. The float-needles and seats usually need replacement, and even if they can be "saved" then it often takes so much time (at the shop-labor rate) to clean them up and get them to seal, that you're better off just spending the money to buy new parts. There's nothing terribly difficult about cleaning/sorting carbs - but if you're not prepared and willing to do the job yourself, bite the bullet, and pay a competent mechanic to do it and do it right the first time. You can "hedge your bet" by asking for a compression-check and also have the shop inspect the inside of the fuel-tank. Problems in either of those areas may make it pointless to throw $ at the carbs.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
try spraying some ether in the carb that does'nt fire after I swaped engines I could'nt get it to fire up checked the pipes one was'nt hot sprayed starting fluid in just a bit. boom fired right up I put my hand over the intake to that cylinder. and a few secs later fuel started to come through. if your getting spark to that plug that is yes one coil fires two plugs at the same time even on compression strokes it fires. either way.
BTW TRUST IN CAT SHE HAS THE POWER OF GOD.
lol j/k she knows her shit though

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've noticed that mine (89 1100) is pretty sensative to mixture. I think I have 1 cylinder a little rich and if I let it idle too long I will foul a plug. A good blast will clean it up.

So yeah a good carbie service should solve your problems, particuly if someone has vandalised it with gaskey goo or similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, its been very helpful. Right now I'm assuming there is a spark, as the cables are fairly new and a new plug was tried. There is some sort of debris in the gas tank, I'll have to have a closer look but the mechanic seems to think I should put a liner in the tank. It's a custom paint job though, and he told me putting in the liner sometimes lifts paint on custom jobs if they're not done really well. We priced out the carb parts at roughly $150 (CDN), I will have the final price tomorrow I hope.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
shew I think I saved myself 1,000 dollars redoing carbs wow.
they are prety simple to didassemble unless you have mo mechanicly inclined ability in you at all. cause i've cleaned my carbs out maybe three time this summer untill I got the fuel filter for it after that no problem on that end. mine had trash all in the carb bowls I can post the procedure from the manual if ya wanna ust paypal me that 150..?!! J/K but I can save you that 150 to spend some where else if ya wanna all ya need is two screw drivers and an hour of time with a can of gunk, and some careful hands.!!
wanna give it a shot.?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I took it into the shop a few times but the carbs were still leaking and the bike was stalling when stationary. I took it to another shop and right away the mechanic said one piston isn't firing. It has new sparkplug wires and he tried a new plug but it still wouldn't fire. The carbs were taken off and opened up, there was a brown film in them along with remnants of carb glue. They're telling me I need new gaskets, o-rings, float assembly, and float needles. Will fixing up the carbs solve these problems?
they'll tell you anything to get your money even if it won't solve your problem bike shops are like that they prolly just need a good cleanin. we can try to solve that problem here but sounds like your gonna walk outta a bike shop with a 500 dollar bill dude. and still not fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well you were right about the $500 bill! They cleaned out the carbs, put in the new gaskets/o-rings/needles/etc. and it's running again on all 4 pistons. The mechanic still thinks the engine doesn't sound quite right.. but I'm almost out of money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
ouch..

well atleast u got a runnin' bike.... and that's what counts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts