Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carb identification on stock \'86 750G CDN

Hi all, looking for help identifying the stock carbs on my '86 750G.

I saw from another thread that doug in Port Moody still runs the same carbs...

Too many sources pointing at different types. What I do know is that they are flatslide Mikuni. My guess is they are 29mm but I can't remember from when I measured them out.

If I were to swap them out, what would be a good size to go considering everything else is stock ie. airbox, exhaust, cams.

Is there any point in even changing them? The bottom end seems to be running a little fat (rich) but I've never had them tuned or adjusted. Mid and top end pull hard. CV's would be a little easier on the throttle hand but I would think there's just more that could go wrong with CV's.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: Carb identification on stock \'86 750G CDN

Go with 39 mm keihins....way better than the mikuni's...no choke....no bullshit...just flatslides with accelerator pumps...gained 12 ponies off of them on an '87

·
Registered
288 Posts

36 mm Mikuni's are considered to be the best carb for the 86...I've read through many sources that said the same thing before I bought some. The power increase was most impressive. Look through the literature at GSXRhouse and you'll find an article which discusses the best way to improve the 86. I'd locate the article directly for you but the GSXRhouse site is lagged like hell right now. I put a stage three dynojet kit and individual K$N filters on mine since the new carbs would not fit the airbox. You might need to upgrage to a Pingel valve on your gas tank too to keep up with the increased demand for gas to your new carbs. You'll also need to run a hose to a home-made catch can from the head vent. You'll also need new intake mounts- I bought mounts for the 88 750 and they fit the mounting bolts fine but leave a slight 1-2 mm lip of metal on one edge- you could probably have this shaved off but I tried it without that and it ran great. Might as well invest in a good carb sync device while you're at it- I recommend the carbtune II from England- talk about heavy duty- it's beats the hell out of the cheap crap I've seen advertised over here.

Morgan Carbtune II

Also keep in mind that if you lay your hands on some 36's they may not be from a GSX-R- the Katana's also used them and their needles and main jets were different- I ran into this with mine..the new needles from the 88 dynojet key would not fit my 36's so I bought new 88 main jets for them and then the dynojet needles fit great. Good luck with your carb plans...it's well worth it trust me.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Talisian ]

·
Registered
434 Posts

stock on an 86 cdn model is a 29mm flatslide dont know if changing the carbs is worth the bother if the pipe is stock and you want to keep the air box the 29mm is the smallest dia of the venturi not the flange dia.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

if you want to keep everything stock, then leave the stock carbs in place.....but the first generation gsxr's especially are choked by the stock intake and exhaust systems.

as talisian mentioned, the 36mm slingshots work really well on the 750...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts