Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Tap Plastics today picking up some delrin and I noticed they have a new product called Tireplast, which is an 1/8" thick mat made out of recycled tire and other plastic. Since it's made out of recycled tires I'd guess it's fairly chemical resistant, and I believe the melting point of rubber is somewhere between 230 to 350 degrees F (the workers there didn't have a clue).

At $19.95 for a 4'x4' sheet it's probably cheap enough to pick one up and see if it would make a good carb heat shield.

Anyway, if you do decide to try it and it melts/catches on fire which in turn causes your tank to blow up which in turn causes your bike to burn down it's your own fault...

Yancy

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Doh! You make it sound to good to pass up! I think I'll try it first thing tomarrow!

Bones

·
Registered
398 Posts
use a thin sheet of aluminum..bend to fit..trim..cut holes for carbs..apply heat shield on underside of aluminum. I have done it to all of my oil cooled bikes and it works ALOT better. You will notice a big drop temp wise on your tank when your riding. I also like to use a small fan on the oil cooler and ducting to direct cool air onto cooler/cases.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Originally posted by PhatBastardDesigns:
use a thin sheet of aluminum..bend to fit..trim..cut holes for carbs..apply heat shield on underside of aluminum. I have done it to all of my oil cooled bikes and it works ALOT better. You will notice a big drop temp wise on your tank when your riding. I also like to use a small fan on the oil cooler and ducting to direct cool air onto cooler/cases.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can you post a pic of your heat sheild??? I'm having problems when the bike gets hot. It runs fine when I first start out but after some thrashing it craps out. It will barely run, and not be able to increase the rpm. So did these bikes have a heat sheild when they were new???? Or has everyone but me noticed that they need one???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts