Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me whats involved in making a carbed bike into a FI bike? is it hard to do and/or expensive? is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
1. You need FI tank unless you gonna have work done to your tak (add additional outlet tubes return line)and also make more room for fuel pump FI pump larger
2. 98/99 cams has cam sensor
3. wires and electric that include brain
from what i am thinking that is about it

I have 98 motor that i turned to carbs only reason its carb is the paint that is done it will cost more to match and repaint

To me its very worth it it takes the pulling carbs off to adjust for jetting

[ 05-16-2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: audi1031 ]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does anyone know about how much the electrical part of it would cost? wiring, brain, and whatever. also, how much the tank conversion costs? and finally, is it worth it overall???

·
Registered
547 Posts
You should be better power to be had,better response and more fuel efficientcy.Doesn't cost too much for the electronics,the throttle bodies are the hassle.Might be able to use the bodies off a 750.Use an aftermarket ems and an external efi pump,then you only have to plumb a return line into the tank.(not the whole pump).Will take a bit of setting up,but isn't too bad once you get the basics in place.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, I have a 96' 750 and I'm all for fuel injection and then again, I'm not entirely for it. Reason is you can still get about as much power on a daily rider level of tuning from a carbed bike as an FI bike. Advantages I've found from a carbed bike is no glitchiness, and no starting problems that seems apparent on many 98's or newer... (not sure of 2000's and newer) that when have been running for awhile, they have a hard time starting. FI bikes sometimes can be a little on/off instead of smooth feeling like a carbed bike. They both have their ups and downs. I'd say that so far my carbs are far more reliable. I keep them tuned once in a great while just to make sure I'm getting my most out of them. Trust me... Your bike as a carbed one, will be plenty powerful and you can tune 150hp out of it with modest building (yeah, including head work, cams etc.), but it's worth it. It takes a bit of work to convert to FI. But it's not too bad. It's all bolt on work.

Those are my thoughts anyways!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, after listening and thinking about it, i too decided to stay carbed. just one of the many reasons is that i plan on sprayin sometime soon. seems to work better on carbs vs fi. thats just one of the things. thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts