Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to getting those stupid screws out holding the carb boots to the head. Thought I'd take some suggestions before i start making a mess.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's a suggestion of hitting the screws with a hammer to shock them to get them out. I was concerned about doing this.
I'm sad to say i broke off part of the 1100 head. live and learn

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did the boots on a '94 750 and a '95 1100. Both seemed to have a lot of thread locker. I used heat on a screwdriver before twisting but kept the heat on the conservative side to avoid damaging the boots. I was able to get 15 of the 16 out. I've got a little project on the 750 now even though I got a 93% on my efforts:unsure:
DSCN4815.jpg

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the last screw that the head broke. I'll need to get it wielded. I was impatient. Should have used all the regular stuff first. WD40 and such

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed how the lower row are kind of hanging out in space and took it easy with the hammer. I did smack the screw driver bits into the screws multiple times durring the process and used a center punch ar a 45 degree angle to try to shock them too. I think heat is the key but don't know how to get enough in there without damaging the boots.

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
I work on allot of pre 1987 bikes, and by far the tool that saves me the most grief and money is my impact driver with a good JAS bit, one swift wack with a hammer does the trick 99% of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Second the impact screwdriver. Once you have them out, replace them with socket head bolts so you won't have to deal with it again. Much easier the next time.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
another yes on impact driver. just don't smack it too hard, because i also once broke part of the intake, but that was only once out of like 3 cylinder heads, so it's a good avereage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts