Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problms with my bike running lean, so I removed, stripped, cleaned and adjusted the carbs.

This definitely helped, the bike now has absolutely no stutter anywhere in the rev range, pulling very cleanly in any gear from any revs.

However, it still has symptoms of running lean. The revs rise quickly but fall slowly, and I have on off-throttle surging.

The float valves are all set to 15mm, the carbs are clean and the pilot air screws are set to 2.5 turns out. All the jets are stock, my exhaust is stock but the bike has a K&N air filter. What can I do to remove this lean condition..??

I eventually want to go to a full replacement exhaust system and re-jet the bike, but until then I just need to get the stock equipment working well.

Cheers....Dave.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by davenay67:
I have been having problms with my bike running lean, so I removed, stripped, cleaned and adjusted the carbs.

This definitely helped, the bike now has absolutely no stutter anywhere in the rev range, pulling very cleanly in any gear from any revs.

However, it still has symptoms of running lean. The revs rise quickly but fall slowly, and I have on off-throttle surging.

The float valves are all set to 15mm, the carbs are clean and the pilot air screws are set to 2.5 turns out. All the jets are stock, my exhaust is stock but the bike has a K&N air filter. What can I do to remove this lean condition..??

I eventually want to go to a full replacement exhaust system and re-jet the bike, but until then I just need to get the stock equipment working well.

Cheers....Dave.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if all else is well with the carbs (transition from pilot onto needles at 3-4K and smooth 4K 2nd gear cruise) you can do one of three things:

- just back out your pilot-air screws in 1/2 turn inncrements til it gets better or til you get to 4 turns out (whichever comes first).

-lower your float-height (raise the fuel-level in the bowls) 1mm.

-You can also replace the pilot fuel jet with the next larger size.

there's a really good tuning guide buried in the www.factorypro.com website too.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips there, Fastcat.

I think I will try the float height first, I'm keen to stay as close as possible to settings that are the norm for the bike.

I also need to re-sync the carbs, I forgot to do that after all the recent carb work.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by davenay67:
Thanks for the tips there, Fastcat.

I think I will try the float height first, I'm keen to stay as close as possible to settings that are the norm for the bike.

I also need to re-sync the carbs, I forgot to do that after all the recent carb work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">D'OH!

...do the synch first... could be all you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts