Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read up in my Clymer and it doesn't seem too tricky. Just wondering if it's something that I (NOT a mechanic) could do or if I'm better off taking the bike to a professional. The synch tool costs about $40 Cdn (or so I'm told) and it might cost a little more than that to go to a mechanic to have it done once (another guess).

Anyone care to set me straight? Much appreciated.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
I am going to move this over to 96-99 forum, I think you will get a quicker and more exact answer over there.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Apart from having your knuckles and face very close to the HOT engine, it's a piece of cake

The above stems from locating and adjusting the balancing screws with the long philips-head screwdriver. That is the most time-consuming bit for sure.

If u got any probs, we can help u out. I did mine a month or so ago.

KaTz

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about cost? Worth it to purchase one rather than pay for a pro to do it if it's so simple?

How often do you guys adjust your carbs? At a particular mileage interval? Or whenever a symptom shows up? Or after a seasonal weather change?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Do it after each time the motor comes out, or the valves are adjusted, or the bike run crappy, or I put new plugs in... or I clean my filter... I think do mine a lot..

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Takes me about 20 in to do.

John

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
http://www.carbtune.com/

Highly recommended.

Th economics of it goes something like...

Get the mechanic to balance the carbs [2 times], and that'll equal the price of the carbtune. THe bonus is that u have a tool which can be used over and over and over, on many diff bikes

And u tend to balance the carbs within 1/4 cmHg when u do it yourself, while the mechanic will do it to factory tolerance, which is within 2cmHg.

KaTz

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree with Katz, its easy to synch your carbs, and you'll know it is perfect when you do it yourself. I had it down to 1/2 hr at most.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long does an adjustment take? How much does the carb tool cost?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am one of the many or maybe few that had my carbs on 96 gix 750 synched my a shop and it only costs me $50.00. I can only rave about the results too. It had an erratic idle that I could never adjust properly. After the synch--just last week, it runs sooo damn smoooth. Idle is perfect, right around 900-1100RPM's. Sounds smooth and acceleration is awesome. Strongly recommend it either on your own or by a shop.
Chuckie

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will be getting the sync tool soon so I just
want to get sumting straight....

..in my manual it says set the carb no3 to the no4 using the right hand screw then the rest.etc etc.
So how do u set the carb no4 ..since theres only three screws....i was thinking of the throttle body air screw to adjust it is that correct..?
and what is a good setting ...

thanx
Ken

·
Registered
104 Posts
Take some pics, i'd be interested in what you're talking about and what you're adjusting, come time for me to do it to my bike. I'm getting the manual soon, and probably gonna buy that carb-tune tool.

Also, how much did the CarbTune total come to for you =GsXR=? I'm thinking about picking one up if it's that easy to use that any novice could do to his own bike..

--
Corey

[ 10-30-2002, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: CoreyAtWork ]

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Chuckie:
I had an erratic idle that I could never adjust properly. After the synch--just last week, it runs sooo damn smoooth.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sounds like a carb synch is exactly what I need. Ever since the weather temp dropped about two weeks ago, my idle occasionally rises up to 2K off and on. Guess it would be caused by a change in fuel/air ration.

If anyone sees a good price on the Web for carb synch tools, can they post the link here?

To CoreyAtWork: my Clymer manual has plenty of info + pics and cost about $21US.

[ 10-30-2002, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Brolo ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
The procedures is very easy but you do need a manual to guide you....yes a novice can do it..(I am a novice too)The carbtune sync tools...cost me over 160$ aussie dollars but thats less than the price for a decent tune up at the mechanics...
Dont be fool the word syncronization(is that how u spell it) sounds complicated..but it's just turing a 3 screws up and down to adjust it....i dont think i can afford not to have one.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good Price Here
I called a place in Markham Ontario and they sell carb synch tools for $70 Cdn ($45 US). A friend of mine bought one and says they're good for the price (mercury gauges).

http://www.winnerscirclecanada.com/index2.htm

Phone number:
1-800-387-9646

Anybody come up with a cheaper one?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called a few more places around Toronto and they sell the tool for $105 & $130 Cdn. Looks like the one I found for $70 Cdn is the way to go. They have a toll-free number and will ship if anyone else is interested.

Or...tell me if you might want one and maybe I can call them re: a group buy ($5-$10 off?).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
we carry a carb sync tool that uses mercury,which are the best in my opinion, for $45 plus shipping...i don't know what that is canadian? let me know if we can get you that tool...

dwayne

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Cycle Concepts:
we carry a carb sync tool...for $45 plus shipping...i don't know what that is canadian?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's pennies away from $70 Cdn. Good price for any American members.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts