Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After countless searches with no real results, I broke down made an account so I could ask my questions and hopefully, finally, get my bike back on the road.

So my bike, a 2003 gsxr750, was running fine and working great for most of the summer. One day, after being stuck in traffic for a good 40 minutes, I pulled over to fill up with gas. When I went to start the bike, this is what happened:

After that day, the bike would start about 50% of the time for about a week. I could never get it to start while it was hot, but it would sometimes start if it had been sitting for awhile.

About a week or two of this, the bike would never start on its own, regardless of how long I let it sit. However, aside from 1 incident, the bike seemed to start with no problem when I push started it. The bike would also start immediately when being jumped.

I took the battery to get tested at autozone and their machine reported that it was a bad battery. So I took the battery to the dealer to cash in on the lifetime-warranty on the battery. They took the battery for a couple hours to charge it and then when they tested it they said the battery was in almost perfect health.

Sure enough, when I put the freshly charged battery back in the bike, it started right up. I rode it on a cool evening on the highway at about 70 mph for 40 minutes or so and then turned it off. I waited about 10 minutes and tried to start it again, no luck.

It then seemed logical to me to assume the battery isn't getting charged. I thought maybe it was a bad rectifier. So I measured the voltage on the battery to be about 12 volts with the bike off and about 14 volts when the bike was on. From what I read though, these are exactly the numbers I'm supposed to be getting.

So, I have no clue. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer. I would just love to be back on the road with my bike.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Batteries can do strange things - they can show perfect on the multi and be screwed once a load is applied. If you can jump start the bike - swap the battery out.
If another battery goes bad - reg / rectifier should be replaced, as these are notorious on your model for failing...
Si

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
yup battery. Do what they said above. That's probably it. If not then check the starter, but I doubt that is it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I put a new battery in and that seems to have solved it. I wish you guys would've told me to do that sooner!

I wonder why they tested it as a good battery, could have solved the problem weeks ago if it had tested correctly.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
I charged your battery for four hours, and put a multi-meter on it two seconds after the charger was removed and got 12 volts, good battery...

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I charged your battery for four hours, and put a multi-meter on it two seconds after the charger was removed and got 12 volts, good battery...
^ Unfortunately this times 1000. :hammer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
oldfart01
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing