Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the bike but it's causing me problems trying to get comfortable.It's great at above in open non-populated areas where there's less chance to run into police,etc.I have large commutes to get to the fun bits.I have put on HeliBars Tracstars but they had bad effect on performance riding as the front end felt vague and non-communicative.So have lowered them about 10mm has helped a little but am now thinking about going back to stock.Have lowered footpegs.Have now raised them to original position-pegs.Had stock suspension set to my weight after the tracstars so maybe full stock with sus set-up accordingly.
Thoughts and help,PLEASE.

PS MERRY AND SAFE X_MAS TO ALL .

Cheers Tim.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
merry christmas tim. it sounds like its the riding position in general. when you make adjustments like helibars, and lower your pegs it will make it more roomy so to speak, but you are sacrificing other things by doing that. i cant think of many sport bikes that are comfy on long boring commutes in general. i dont really have much help to offer other than try exercising to work muscles that will help you hold your body in a good riding position for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mate.Went to Chiro today she seems to think it might be that I'm a little sore in the neck and shoulders due to me being knocked off my previous bike in a road accident.I have a track only 98 R1 and that's far more comfortable so what can I do next with this Gix that I adore-except for comfort.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I love the bike but it's causing me problems trying to get comfortable.It's great at above in open non-populated areas where there's less chance to run into police,etc.I have large commutes to get to the fun bits.I have put on HeliBars Tracstars but they had bad effect on performance riding as the front end felt vague and non-communicative.So have lowered them about 10mm has helped a little but am now thinking about going back to stock.Have lowered footpegs.Have now raised them to original position-pegs.Had stock suspension set to my weight after the tracstars so maybe full stock with sus set-up accordingly.
Thoughts and help,PLEASE.

PS MERRY AND SAFE X_MAS TO ALL .

Cheers Tim.
Tim, since you already got a track-only bike, you should know what the deal is. The gixxer is not MADE for comfort...Comfort way down the list of goals the makers of the GSX R1000 had in mind when the designed the GSX R Series.

I am very, very suprised that you put HELI BARS on the gix!!:nono.

I am an older gent, one year shy of 70.. I can bang out 300 miles to get to a destination with ease on my K7, and I have my rearsets set in the rearmost/uppermost position. I also have a race-only bike. But I can deal with the K7, K8, K9 egonormices(real bad spelling).

Maybe another bike might have been a better choice for your street ride.

Just the opinions of a old geezer... :biggrin

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had a FZ1N(08) but after riding the trackie was feeling unco on road(starting to move around attempting knee down) so was thinking a super was the go-starting to have doubts!:dissapointed:sad.
Just hoping that I can get some comfort that i can live with.I have also been told that after a while your body gets used to the ergo's of a s'bike-would you agree?

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
I had a FZ1N(08) but after riding the trackie was feeling unco on road(starting to move around attempting knee down) so was thinking a super was the go-starting to have doubts!:dissapointed:sad.
Just hoping that I can get some comfort that i can live with.I have also been told that after a while your body gets used to the ergo's of a s'bike-would you agree?
First off, I workout 6 to 7 days a week. In fact, right after I posted that reply, I was off to the gym and did a smokin 2 1/2 hour workout, and I mean smokin too. :) All that helps when it comes to riding the sportbike in a tight position. I ride almost in the race tuck on the street. My weight is supported by my legs, abs, lower back, and very, very little is on the my arms and wrist..

IMO, that is the key. Body position, and tuning up the body. Sheesh, my K7 is so tight, that when she hits a bump, my 135 lb flyweight butt flies out the seat!! :)

The gixxer is not a cruiser or even a sport tourer, she is all sportbike. Made to negotiate curves like a hot knife going through butter, if its rider has skill. Comfort be dam.. :)

And if you haven't already, start a little workout routine, things will get better..

Ya can see I like to run it (my mouth)!! :)

Enjoy and be safe,

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
First off, I workout 6 to 7 days a week. In fact, right after I posted that reply, I was off to the gym and did a smokin 2 1/2 hour workout, and I mean smokin too. :) All that helps when it comes to riding the sportbike in a tight position. I ride almost in the race tuck on the street. My weight is supported by my legs, abs, lower back, and very, very little is on the my arms and wrist..

IMO, that is the key. Body position, and tuning up the body. Sheesh, my K7 is so tight, that when she hits a bump, my 135 lb flyweight butt flies out the seat!! :)

The gixxer is not a cruiser or even a sport tourer, she is all sportbike. Made to negotiate curves like a hot knife going through butter, if its rider has skill. Comfort be dam.. :)

And if you haven't already, start a little workout routine, things will get better..

Ya can see I like to run it (my mouth)!! :)

Enjoy and be safe,

Spot on. Ya gotta be in shape. Dead lifts for your back and crunches for your abs are the most critical. However, if you plan on doing some hard core road track runs, you better have your legs in shape too.

You should never put weight on your arms but it's inevitable that most people will do so. However, keeping your back and abs in shape will help keep that from being a problem.

--Wag--

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in attack mode quite ok,but,as I had a road accident and was knocked off my prior R1 don't ride attack crouch on road.Perhaps a little nervous but i wanna see the dumbasses in case they don't see me.I am a little overweight but still pretty strong so don't see fitness as the issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
k9 gsxr thou is about the most comfortable bike i've ever sat on.
Its a freaking LAZY-BOY for crying out lould.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you think a K9 1000 is bad, try a prev gen Ducati like a 916 or 996, lol. You wont make it to the gas station.

I agree with the other posters, you should be supporting your weight with your legs and abdominal muscles so you can steer effectively with your hands. My guess is you are just slackin with those muscles and propping yourself up with your arms/shoulders which will wear you out faster, and cause the bike to underperform in the twisties.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
^ Agree.
The gixxers are usually the most comfortable sportbikes which is reflected in many of the annual test rides. Even so it is still a sportbike and will never be super comfy.
I would put back the stock clip ons and get some adjustable rear sets. On my K2 I actually put the reat sets back and up which helped me support my knees in the tank indent better and again made for a more comfy ride.

Also get some traction pads on your tank. It will you support your weight with your knees better and prevent you from sliding forward, subsequently putting pressure on your arms.

Recently the Vortex rear sets put all the way back and down made a hell difference on my 08 Blade.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it takes a little time for your body to get used to the positioning on a new bike. I ride 350-500 mile day rides 2up with the wife, and have very little problems being comfortable on my 05. When I take longer cross country solo rides, I make sure I have a big tank bag to lean against which removes all the weight totally off my shoulders and wrists. Laying against the tank bag I can go 750-1100 miles in a day, without being sore the following morning.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had many nakeds anda couple of motards so am used to looking out from a higher vantage point.This is the 1st (2nd if you count the 07 R1 that I had for a week-prior to its demize) super that I have owned and had to commute to twisties.Problem is trying to hold head up to get to the better vantage point.Got a delivery of Yoshi and collector the other day after that's installed may be able to do attack crouch on road as I wont be stealth anymore-they will now here my approach.Will reinstall stock clip-ons,too.
Someone suggested "busa am now thinking that maybe a solution.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
Had many nakeds anda couple of motards so am used to looking out from a higher vantage point.This is the 1st (2nd if you count the 07 R1 that I had for a week-prior to its demize) super that I have owned and had to commute to twisties.Problem is trying to hold head up to get to the better vantage point.Got a delivery of Yoshi and collector the other day after that's installed may be able to do attack crouch on road as I wont be stealth anymore-they will now here my approach.Will reinstall stock clip-ons,too.
Someone suggested "busa am now thinking that maybe a solution.
All good moves.. :thumbup

Since you said you are bit overweight, I would add some workouts in your weekly schedule. Don't under estimate the value of being in shape on the sportbike. I have laid in the tuck for almost 2 hours.. Sure legs were a little tired and getting ready to cramp, but I am talking 2 hours.. I can do an 80 mile stint in a hour with no sweat..Plus, my trick on long trips on the sportbike is to take FREQUENT stops. Mostly when time for gas. So, I will hit 100 to 125 miles, then stop for 30 minuts to an hour for rest. When I get back on the bike I am fresh again, and the ride is fun not torture..

Luck to ya,

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Yeah, agree with Howard, being a bit in shape makes a hell of a difference on a sportbike.
I am a bit on/off at the gym, but when I have periods where I've been doing regular workouts it is really felt on my rides.
I try to focus my training to abdominal, back, neck, legs and stamina.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update: put on my Yoshi yesterday and am now able to crouch somewhat as cars can now hear me and not as worried about being seen as am now heard.Have also put the pegs up and found it to be more comfortable.Thanks for suggestions.

Tim

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts