Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure if you can buy brand new OEM parts like a full set of body work for a old school gixxer (1991) ? & if so for how long, I went to my local dealer but the kid at the counter wasn't to sure, he was able to get me a price and part # but he did not know if it was still available so I came here to ask the experts, thx ...

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
You can still get some of the parts but you will not be able to find out untill you order them. A complete set from your dealer is about 2500.00! There is a complete set of 92 red and black tiger stripe on e-bay starting at 500.00. It looked pretty clean.
Bones

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The price I got from the dealer was around $4000. WOW & a few other 4 letter words I said to my self. this stuff gets more expensive with age but I don't think the kid knew to much about his Gixxer stuff. by this time I was like "forget it". but if you think I can get a brand spanking new set of 91 Blue & White stuff for around $2000 then I might just think about it. I don't have the funds for that now, but that's why I want to know if this stuff is going to be impossible to get from the dealer in the future. so maybe I should sell my newer gixxer stuff and order that stuff now. $hit, I know can find a whole Gixxer for less than that but I guess if you want to restore your old skool to look like new stock org cond then you got to pay. I have spent years at my local salvage shops digging through the plastic bins and on ebay, but cant find much for what im looking for. I had a hard time finding 91 stuff when they were brand new that’s when I decided to go the dealer. I just wanted to verify that if I do fork over all that cash am I going to get the complete set or just some parts ...

P.S I saw the good old tiger striped set on ebay but I just got to have that blue & white stuff …

(punctuation added at no charge)

[ 10-24-2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got a 1990 GSXR-750, and am looking to get all new body work too. I love the blue and white!
Im still looking.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
OEM bodywork is a tricky thing. Shortly after I got my '86 RG I ordered a OE midpanel...and it came as unpainted dark-blue plastic when it should have been red/white/blue with a Suzuki decal. So I cancelled the purchase. The dealer here is cool about that type of stuff. Anyway, if, and I mean if, you can get a factory painted set for sane money that might be worth it. If you bought Maier or Beasley or Airtech and got it painted perfectly (don't forget stickers) you might be looking at almost the same money. There's always Earl Scheib

·
Registered
178 Posts
shanegsxr, i know about your obsession with the 91' blue and white, thats why i have one! give these people a call- 1-800-860-0686, they are a discount suzuki parts dealer. they have all the body parts for a 91' blue and white with the exception of the solo cover. suzuki discontinued the solo cover a few years back. hope this helps...

·
Registered
257 Posts
www.bikebandit.com also has pretty good prices. If you've got the part numbers you can just look up the piece prices otherwise they have the parts diagrams on line as well. I've bought from them before and had good luck with them. Definitely a lot cheaper than the local dealer.

Matt

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do a lot of ordering for parts for local bikes here and I have noticed that some bikes are just more expensive. ex
95 cbr900rr is almost 2 times the amount for a 93 or a 98 900RR
same bike just different deals

97 gsxr lower was 302
while 00 gsxr was 420

I personally think they go by demand. but could be wrong

·
Registered
77 Posts
The OEM plastics are still available from Suzuki, but only in the non painted versions (at least this is the case for the '86 GSX-R). Go to bikebandit to get the part numbers and then to Ron Ayers to see what kind of prices they got.

I haven't had very good luck with Maier or Airtech. The Airtech stuff is absolutely terrible, while the Maier stuff is barely tolerable. Never tried Beasley.

Yancy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man that 91 1100 you got there just brings back lots of memories, don't ever get rid of it, another guy I talked to told me that Suzuki sells the stock body work for ten year then ??? I know I should have fixed my 1991 back in the day but I used the money to buy the 1996 SRAD ... then got the 01 1000, both all are very nice bikes but now that I think about I would give my left nut to bring my old skool back to org mint cond, I had the best times of my life on that 91 blue & white …

·
Registered
893 Posts
I know you are talking about getting body work from the dealer, but if I were you I would be doing the e-bay surf. I can still get just about anything I need for my 86 or 94 750 thru the dealer, but the shit is spendy!

I replaced all of the fairing pcs with Targa fiberglass pcs. It all fit very well. FORGET Mair!! That stuff they sell is JUNK!!!

[ 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: OneWheelRider ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts