Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I were changing the oil on his 2002 GSXR 1000 and we turned the oil drain plug the wrong way striping the oil pan threads! How do we repair this or do we have to replace the entire oil pan. Also, what would the cost of this be?

·
Registered
391 Posts
hey? well i'll tell you what happened to me. same thing but my friend did mine..done it too tight and it stripped it...so what i done was went down and got a self threading bolt..it looks like a lava lamp..like the head of the bolt then it's skinny to fatter to skinny you know? and tighten/loosen off and repeat till it's all the way in and bada bing bada boom
well i done that but i just bought a new oil pan for 250.00 canadian the other day

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Can you repair the striped threads of a oil drain plug

US currency new pan costs a little under $100. Is it worth doing a Helicoil just to find out its still possibly leaking after you put new oil in?

All I know is that the best repair is a new pan, thats what I got when I stripped mine. I also realized that if you don't use a crush washer it is very easy to strip b/c with the new pan, and crush washer, it was quite easy to tell when the drain bolt was tight enough.

·
Registered
391 Posts

yea i should be getting my oil pan and all that in tomorrow. and so there for today i had taken my exhaust system off and my radiator..and haah it looks soo naked
but oh well in the end i hope/knnow it'll be better

·
Registered
125 Posts

Stripped mine about 9 mos ago and had it helicoiled and no problems since.

·
Registered
121 Posts

a properly threaded heli coil shouldnt leak anymore

1 - 9 of 9 Posts