Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 GSXR 1100 with a worn out rear shock. It is totally gone from what I can tell. Has no oil in it and is real bouncey. All the adjustments are to the max. Can I rebuild this shock or do I have take it apart and make sure the cyclinder is not scored first? I have heard from most people that you can rebuild the shock but my local suzuki mechanic says no. I know you can rebuild the rear shock on a dirt bike but I am clueless when it comes to four strokes. Would it be better to just buy a new shock or good used shock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can definitely rebuild it. Options range from an oil change and recharge for like $50 to new seals for like $100 to a full custom revalve at $150+. It is unlikely you will need to worry about wear and damage unless you run without a hugger or never clean your bike. Your best bet is to get in touch with a reputable suspension shop like www.traxxion.com or www.aftershocks-suspension.com (Traxxion is actuall relatively near you and has a good reputation with WERA racers) and find out what your options are. Race Tech also has a lot of "service centers" that can help you out but I've heard their quality can vary a lot.

Assuming the shock doesn't have anything really wrong with it it's definitely cheaper to rebuild the stocker (especially since Fox and the like run $600+). Buying a used stock isn't going to get you anywhere, it's probably no better than yours, and buying a used aftermarket is iffy, unless it is in really good shape it'll probably need a rebuild as well and won't be much cheaper in the end.

Matt

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I second that. Rebuild is the way to go. The stock shocks are pretty much race ready they just need some fine tuning. They come factory with setting for the general public. With valving, fluid and spring you can dial that thing right in. I sent mine out to Race Tech in Corona CA. 909 279-6655. I spoke with Brad Bailey and Ron Williams. I told them my weight, height, riding style, etc. They rebuilt the shock and installed a custom spring from Eibach Springs. They also sent recommended setup guide to get you started. They were very helpful and the turn-around fairly quick. I reinstalled it, made one small adjustment (preload), have not needed to touch it since (2yrs). Not to mention you can keep the stock part on the bike. Did the same thing with the forks as well. Saved a few HUNDRED dollars doing it this way.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I use LE (Lindemann Enterprises)408.371.6151 www.le-suspension.com but look for a 750 shock to do as that way you get rid of the ramp type adjustor and get the collar type. By the time your done though you will have a couple hundred dollars in it. You can also check e-bay for Fox and Ohlins they come up pretty regular.
Bones

·
Registered
434 Posts
definatly you can rebuild it and if you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself. Go to race techs web site do a valving search and that will tell you wich gold valve. Kit comes with a video on how to do it , if you are mechanically inclined its not hard for the recharge of nitrogen I use a goodyear tire store that has a nitrogen tank they use to purge air conditioning systems before they recharge them, charge me $10.00 just adapt a tire valve to the hose set the regulator to 180psi and presto your done.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Go for the rebuild!! You cannot beat the bang for the buck for street use (2nd hand that they will fade in race use...???).

I've dealt personally and successfully with both Race Tech (original shop ONLY, NB) and Lindemann Engineering - would recommend both. Folks whose opinions I respect give an unqualified 2 thumbs up to traxxion dynamics.

The Suzuki mechanic, to be fair, is 'just following orders', since the shop manual states that the shock is non-serviceable (hohoho).

Enjoy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. The guy that does all the local motocross racers shocks and including my motocross shocks says he can do it fo $135. I think this includes new valves, spring, oil, and nitrogen. Is that too expensive? I thought it was reasonable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would think $135 is almost too good to be true. That probably is only the labor and you will probably be into it for a spring and other goodies and I would think you'd be closer to 3 or 350 by the time it's done really right. You might check out the following site if you're interested in the do-it-yourself part. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/mar99/db101/db101shock.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Kulzuk:
I would think $135 is almost too good to be true. That probably is only the labor and you will probably be into it for a spring and other goodies and I would think you'd be closer to 3 or 350 by the time it's done really right. You might check out the following site if you're interested in the do-it-yourself part. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/mar99/db101/db101shock.html
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats what I was hoping. It was too good to be true. He does really good work. I would rather have him put my race tech gold valves in than race tech. I will try it out and let you know what is going on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my rear shock went out on my 90 as well, gonna go to kessler pro susp. here on east coast maybe tomorrow, its scary goin fast on a bad shock.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
I use LE (Lindemann Enterprises)408.371.6151 www.le-suspension.com but look for a 750 shock to do as that way you get rid of the ramp type adjustor and get the collar type. By the time your done though you will have a couple hundred dollars in it. You can also check e-bay for Fox and Ohlins they come up pretty regular.
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can get my hands on a 93 750 shock.....will it fit my 92' 11

·
Registered
249 Posts
Originally posted by fightin-ry:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Bones_GSXR:
Bones
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can get my hands on a 93 750 shock.....will it fit my 92' 11
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From what i was told, it will fit just fine....

i think only difference being is that the spring weight will be different from the 1100 to the 750....

By the way........Mickey at KPS is gonna do my shock as well...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts