Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

can you go faster if...

761 views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  DurtySouthTLR 
#1 ·
you turn off the headlights?

seems to me that the light energy blasting out directly in front of you would impact with the molecules present in the air and cause frictional losses

has anybody tried it out yet?

#3 ·
yeah i've done it you definitely go faster ,its to do with the power the h/lights are drawing from the alternator giving a reduced spark to the plugs
switch the lights off get on the cats eyes so you know your running straight and tear down the dotted line
???they teach this at msf

#6 ·
Actually, though light photons exhibit some characteristics of matter, they have no mass. So there would be no physical collision with air molecules ahead of the bike. As far as the energy exciting those molecules, well that would actually lower the density of the onrushing air and decrease drag.

me

[ 09-11-2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Honduhh ]

#7 ·
Originally posted by Honduhh:
[QB]Actually, though light photons exhibit some characteristics of matter, they have no mass. So there would be no physical collision with air molecules ahead of the bike. As far as the energy exciting those molecules, well that would actually lower the density of the onrushing air and decrease drag.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And you point is?

#10 ·
Originally posted by Chainrash:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Honduhh:
[QB]Actually, though light photons exhibit some characteristics of matter, they have no mass. So there would be no physical collision with air molecules ahead of the bike. As far as the energy exciting those molecules, well that would actually lower the density of the onrushing air and decrease drag.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And you point is?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The point is if light had mass and you were projecting it forward with a certain velocity, it could conceivably slow you down. But if light had mass, it couldn't travel the speed of light because nothing with mass can travel the speed of light. Anyway, headlights can't excite molecules the way you describe. Take a flashlight and point it at a glass of water and time how long it takes for the water to boil

[ 09-11-2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: AJ-600M ]

#13 ·
Originally posted by Honduhh:
Actually, though light photons exhibit some characteristics of matter, they have no mass. So there would be no physical collision with air molecules ahead of the bike. As far as the energy exciting those molecules, well that would actually lower the density of the onrushing air and decrease drag.

me
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, it is a well known fact that light does indeed have a force associated with it. It is possible to support a light object with light, no pun intended! Thus the idea of the self-supporting Dyson's sphere to harness the power of a solar system's main star. I mean, you know, it works on Star Trek and Futuristic models of the universe, why not our headlights? Give the man a chance!

#14 ·
Deavis is right, it is the same principal behind the ion drive engine that nasa has already used, and nasa has been testing light sails in the upper atmosphere since 1977, theoretically you could us the a light sail to go up to 50% the speed of light, oh you can go faster then light :], the infinite mass at light speed is a bunch of crap, speed is relative to the points form which you are measuring between. Like in a head on collision both parties are going 50 mph but the impact velocity is 100 mph (ish) get it

#17 ·
Originally posted by AJ-600M:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Chainrash:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Honduhh:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And you point is?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The point is if light had mass and you were projecting it forward with a certain velocity, it could conceivably slow you down. But if light had mass, it couldn't travel the speed of light because nothing with mass can travel the speed of light. Anyway, headlights can't excite molecules the way you describe. Take a flashlight and point it at a glass of water and time how long it takes for the water to boil
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Makes perfect sense now!!!!!
Im kinda slow!!!! You know shortbus kinda guy!!!!
And I bought all those NOS stickers!!!!! Damn it!!!!

#19 ·
Exactly AJ!

Deavis - yes, light has a force associated with it as a result of its inherent energy (i.e. F=ma thinking does not apply)

Dole - actually, no matter how fast you are travelling relative to light, it ALWAYS appears to go the same speed. so if you were travelling 200 mph in the exact same direction of light, its speed would not seem to be c-200mph; it would still be exactly 'c'. strange, but true.

i still believe we can travel faster than light, but for purely selfish reasons.

speaking of universal paradoxes, i saw a pink gixxer last night at bike night............NOT good..

#20 ·
Originally posted by FTP2:
If you point your headlight beam down to its lowest setting, the molecules being emmitted will actually push the front end of the bike up, causing you to ride really long wheelies, if you point the taillight down at the same time, the bike will actually hover
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hahaha! hover!!

[ 09-12-2002, 07:00 AM: Message edited by: Honduhh ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.