Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike went down on it's side today, something really stupid. Anyways the shifter got all fu*ked up and then I noticed one of the pieces on the frame that hold on the foot peg completely cracked all the way through. I am not sure if this can be fixed or not. Any ideas or help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful, thanks....I am sooo pissed that it went down, but it happens. Pure stupidity though.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
you can thank manufacturers for always coming up with new "weight" shavings each year. Those changes come from using material that isn't as strong as the good stuff, there for things break A LOT easier.

·
Banned
952 Posts
you can thank manufacturers for always coming up with new "weight" shavings each year. Those changes come from using material that isn't as strong as the good stuff, there for things break A LOT easier.
yeah, but do you know heavy a gixxer would be with an unbreakable steel frame?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Yes it can be fixed, but not flawlessly, that is cast aluminum, very dirty, and a pain in the ass to weld, you will see the weld bead, and its a bitch to grind down. But yes, it can be fixed

Scott

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called up a few places and showed them the pictures.... the one suzukie place said that if I have insurance (which I do) I could file that for a new frame
but they also said they have a guy that does aluminum welding that could most likely fix it. I called him up and he said about $120 and he could get it fixed. Thank goodness because I dont want to have to get a entire new frame.

I dont really care for how it will look as long as it can be fixed solid. I ordered a entire new foot peg assembly, and a new shift lever, once those are in I will be able to get it back up and running. When it went down at least it was stuck in first so I was able to ride it hom without a foot peg. I have a buddy that is a good painter that said he would do a custom paint job on the bike for free, so that will save on plastic molding being all scraped up.

Luckily my watsen turn signals are on their way already so the broken turn signal wont be a problem.

I still can't believe at less than one mile per hour the bike fell on it's side and that piece cracked all the way through. The slider competely shattered off.... I didn't expect any of that. Everything else is fine, alittle scrape on the clutch handle, and grip, but nothing really noticable. I still wouldn't have ever expected that frame piece to crack like that, as long as it can be fixed I get a nice new custom paint out of it. I will post up some pics when it's done. Thanks again for all the replies, this has been a sucky last few days

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you go through insurance they'll probably total it. I know my ins. co. totals the bike when the frame has a crack in it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is one of the last things I want is to claim it on insurance.... my insurance is only $740 a year full coverage with a $250 deductible..... I don't want that to go up in price.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
That is one of the last things I want is to claim it on insurance.... my insurance is only $740 a year full coverage with a $250 deductible..... I don't want that to go up in price.
Hey man, let me know if you need a rearset for one side or the other. You said you just ordered a new one (or parts for it). I have a mint one lying around I would be willing to get rid of for less than what you bought the replacement for plus you would be helping me out so I could get some $ for new accessories. Let me know, later,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I knew the brand, but it was a plastic all white slider I bought from my dealership for $60, the cowl didnt need any adjustments since they were made for the bike. I wish I knew the company, but it seriously shattered when it hit the ground. They probally saved alittle damage but not much. I am thinking of buying vortex this time around, but not too sure I want an all metal slider since this frame seems to crack soo easy.

Sorry boganz45, I already place my order through oneida yesterday otherwise I would have purchased it from you.

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
I thank them every time I ride for designing a bike around kicking ass, not being capable of handling a crash.
I didn't buy the bike to throw it on the ground, it's just a bonus if it holds up when I do.

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
I wish I knew the brand, but it was a plastic all white slider I bought from my dealership for $60, the cowl didnt need any adjustments since they were made for the bike. I wish I knew the company, but it seriously shattered when it hit the ground. They probally saved alittle damage but not much. I am thinking of buying vortex this time around, but not too sure I want an all metal slider since this frame seems to crack soo easy.

Sorry boganz45, I already place my order through oneida yesterday otherwise I would have purchased it from you.
FWIW - I would suggest the sliders from www.yoyodyneti.com or www.woodcraft-cfm.com

Also, metal sliders are not the wat to go unless you just want them for show.

njracer

·
Registered
556 Posts
+1 on those sliders yoyd or woodcraft. Vortex is good too. STay away from metal sliders because they grab and then the bike will tumble. Not good...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like those woodcraft sliders.... thanks for the links. I will probally pick up a set of those soon. I just need to get everything else functioning before I start spending money elsewhere.

I am happy at least I already ordered the watsen turn signals, they will come in handy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Get it TIG welded. One of my best friend's is unbelieveable at welding and if you were up here I'd have it done for you for the price of a Budweiser. It's not that complicated at all, don't listen to anybody who's gonna charge you anywhere near $120. That's retarded. That's a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TIG welded??? RIght about now, after being told that I should replace the frame (from a suzuki dealership) $120 for a good weld that wouldnt require me to get a new frame is nothing. I have a few friends that do welding but they said they didnt have the capabilities to weld aluminum, so I am taking anything I can get. If anyone local knows of a good spot let me know.

Thanks

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Get it TIG welded. One of my best friend's is unbelieveable at welding and if you were up here I'd have it done for you for the price of a Budweiser. It's not that complicated at all, don't listen to anybody who's gonna charge you anywhere near $120. That's retarded. That's a 10 minute job.
To weld that properly (ie on both sides) you would have a pretty tough time without removing the subframe. This would entail a lot more work than just pulling up on the bike and asking someone to drop a bead on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts