Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy installed a new stock headgasket and did a leakdown test.And found out the intake valves are leaking.the thing is the motor is still on the bench and has not been started yet.just wondering if we can just pull the head and reuse the gasket.probably a dumd ? but had to ask.thanks for looking

·
Registered
542 Posts
There are people on both sides of the fence on this topic.

First off, the gasket being fresh is uncompressed. Once the engine is reassembled, the gasket is compressed to form a tight seal. When you take the engine back apart you are realigning the gasket not to the orginal position that it was in, even if it a very small difference, there is still a difference.

Even though the engine has not been started, that really doesn't make that much of a difference, so don't let that influence your decision. The real question is what is best for the engine. You would be kicking yourself in the ass if you did reuse the gasket, assembled the bike, started it up, and a day, month, or even a couple months down the road, you realize that there is a rupture in the gasket from it being reused. Then you are stuck in the same position that you are in right now, except with the possiblity of other engine problems from the secondary use of the gasket.

My opinion is that it is best to do a job once correctly, not twice half-assed. I am not saying that reusing the gasket is half assed, just be weary of the situation. Buying another head gasket, and doing the 'right' thing is best. Without looking at the gasket and the surfaces that mate together it is hard to say go or no go. I personally want the best for my bike, and I don't want to be a direct cause of future problems that the engine might have by cutting corners, so I would say new gasket time.

But...

I have to admit, when I have been tight for cash, and in a pinch, I have reused gaskets before with no problems. It was the clutch gasket, where I could see and smell if it was leaking.

If you do decide to reuse it, look at the gasket closely. Inspect it for any compression marks that do not look right. Next, look at the mating surfaces: clean, clean, and clean again. Use a wet stone to smooth the surfaces, take your time. Finally, realize that if there is a problem later on in the life of the engine that is connected to this situation, don't repeat your mistakes!

That's my .02
Good luck

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
It will be fine as the engine has not started. Gasket lines up perfectly on dowels and the black coating will not have come off. Compressed thickness and used thickness is neglible on these type of gaskets due to being of metal construction rather than fibre found on many car engines.

When i work on developing engines, i will regularly use the same gasket over and over again doing maybe 30 or more dyno pulls between teardowns and keep going trying new stuff. Not seen one leak yet, but i would never dream of building a motor properly with a used gasket. Some engines i see have been reused by other builders and have sealant on them. These usually have signs of leakage at teardown.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
i would say to hell with it and just get another gasket. Piece of mind....

·
Registered
234 Posts
hahhaahh! well heres my 2 cents I did a valve check few months back used the same gasket it leaked... I went to store bought anew one 30$
then came back frustrated with the price of the new one. I tried to readjust the valve and gasket and tried to less torque on the valve cover screws.... WAAAAAAA LAAAAAAAAH! it didnt leak with the old gasket turns out i was over torque ing the valve cover screws,,,

:D
have a nice day!
-CityHunt3R

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
A head gasket that has NOT BEEN RUN but has been torqued down will not leak, period. Maybe if you drop it on the floor in between, hit it with a hammer, .... then it might. When building up a race motor and working out all clearances, i will torque up and remove the head many times on the same day and then build the motor with that gasket. I've yet to have one leak. If you have run the engine, then don't take any chances.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
if you must, try copper seal spray.

i've heard people re-use them no more than 2x (1 time new, 1 time reuse)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.